2 Newbies

Assimilate

Hello everybody

Just thought I would stick my head in and say "hi" - me and my other half (another newbie Yosser) have just ordered a Westfield.

It's going to be based on the MX3 - and we've ordered it in black and white, but with the new bodywork  :p  (yes, we do know that we'll need to have a different fuel tank fitted!!)

Just trying to decide whether to stick the 1.6 or 1.8 engine in it... decisions decisions!

I'm sure we'll be around here a lot over the next few months with all our questions.

Kathryn  :)

Hi and welcome to the two of you.

If you haven't joined the club  --  it's an investment worth considering  :p

If you have, registering the fact (under the WSCC banner on this page) is very useful  ;)

If you've done both, and it just doesn't show yet  --  apologies.

Lots of good knowledge and experience in the Derby & Notts area (details here). And Garry's a nunney-cat really  :D

HI WELCOME

was it you two guys I was nattering with in the rain around 2pm outside {Jay with the Yellow zetec Westy}

If that's Long Eaton near Nottingham (unsure if there's any other) then there are 2 local meets per month...main meet at Shardlow nr Derby last thursday in month, northern meet at Ravenshead (nr Nottingham), 2nd(?) thursday in month.

Welcome

Hi all

I'm Dave, Kathryn's other half (the one who started this thread).

Asterix, ya it's near Nottingham so it's good to hear there is a couple of clubs near us. Do you know anyone round this way building a MX5 based Westie?

Hi Jay, it was us chatting to you on Sunday,  thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions in not the best of weather!

We sent the cheque off for the club today, met some of the guys at Stoneleigh on the club stand and every one seemed really nice and friendly. :)

As Kathryn said we are trying to work out the best power plant option for the kit, the slightly lighter revy 1.6 or the 1.8 with a bit more torque.  :bangshead:  Any help or thorgts would be great.

Cheers

Dave

Don't know much about the mazda engine, but have read topics in here in the past and the general agreement is that there is no excuse for cubes  :D

what options have you gone for ... main one being at least the rac roll bar, I was intially happy with mine but the more i read the more I learned you might as well have a pipe cleaner over your head (ok that's an exageration)

If your touring think about things like removable steering wheels for security

good luck with the build, there are some hero's in here who will always help and probably even pop around if ya get stuck  :D

Welcome Dave & Kathryn,

I've just finished building my Mazda SDV and it's been on the road for just over a month, you'll find a few of us on here with the MX5 kits and our numbers are ever growing, if you get stuck at any point feel free to shout and we'll try to offer advice.

The choice of engines is very much personal preference, from memory the 1.6 in the Mk1 as standard  produces 114bhp compared to 128bhp from the 1.8 but there is a weight penalty with the 1.8 and you'll probably need to fit a cat.  Steer clear of the 1.6's from 1995-1998 as to widen the power gap when they introduced the 1.8 they dropped the power of the 1.6 to a feeble 88bhp.  

As for torque the difference is negligable (100lb ft compared to 110) so you'll struggle to notice a difference in such a light car.  I'm running a 1.6 from an Eunos and don't find it to be lacking either in power or torque when two-up.

I'm a big fan of the black&white colours on the FW bodywork, I almost did the same myself before finally opting for the classic look.  The problems with locating the fuel tank was something I couldn't think of a simple easy answer too, keep us all updated as to how you get on as I'm sure they'll be plenty of other builders looking to do similar in the future.  

Pics of my build can be found by following the link below,

Mark

Thanks for all the replies folks - think I was having a bad day yesterday when I put MX3 instead of MX5!!

Yes, we've ordered the RAC bar.  Have to admit I was quite surprised that the rollbars are not welded onto the chassis, so I can understand the pipecleaner comment!

We're definitely looking at the removable steering wheel options.  We were looking at quite a funky boss on the Plays Kool stand at the show over the weekend.

Can't wait to get started on it - roll on 19 June  :p

Yes, we've ordered the RAC bar

Be mindful that it's not RAC / MSA compliant - should be fine for trackdays and road use  ;)  ;)  ;)

Good Luck  :D  :D  :D