Race Technology DASH2 wiki

Frosty

I have just noticed that my shift lights do not work.  :(

The RPM is working. The gear indication is working. Final shiftlight set to 5800, interval 250. Anything obvious I can check?

That's strange. Do they flash when you first start the unit?

When I turn the key they have a flashing sequence that they do to display they are working.

I haven't noticed that. I'll try tonight. I do know the green light flashes when I have a warning though.

Okay checked the lights on ignition on and they do not light up in a sequential manor or any other way. I thought I'd go through the dash menu and try changing the brightness, leds 2-6 light up as the brightness is adjusted. led 1 does not come on, however I am sure this is the warning light but reading the manual I was under the impression that led 1 is also used for a shift light as well.  I have the potenza version if that makes a difference.

I know that the warning light is green, so it must be one of the first two. You can test it by setting silly values like 20C coolant alarm for example.

You can also test your shift lights by setting them at 2000rpm with 50rpm intervals etc so you can get them to come on easily.

If you are sure revs are reading correctly then there is something wrong with the DASH2.

Probably best you call up Race Technology who's factory support is absolutely superb. They might suggest the latest firmware to begin with, or they might suggest sending the unit back.

All 6 of my shift lights flicker on and off when i first power up the unit whilst they are doing the "Westfield Sportscars" splash. If this doesn't happen then something must be wrong with the unit.

I know that the warning light is green, so it must be one of the first two. You can test it by setting silly values like 20C coolant alarm for example.

You can also test your shift lights by setting them at 2000rpm with 50rpm intervals etc so you can get them to come on easily.

If you are sure revs are reading correctly then there is something wrong with the DASH2.

Probably best you call up Race Technology who's factory support is absolutely superb. They might suggest the latest firmware to begin with, or they might suggest sending the unit back.

All 6 of my shift lights flicker on and off when i first power up the unit whilst they are doing the "Westfield Sportscars" splash. If this doesn't happen then something must be wrong with the unit.

Hope its not the unit again. This is the second one I have had! Even this second one kept freezing and I was sent a RS232 dongle when I have to leave plugged in all the time! So do the shift lights come on even if not engaging a gear, just purely based on engine speed? I know the warning light works because sometimes it comes on warning about oil pressure when I first start the engine.

Oh and I think the firmware was re-flashed on the second unit, it was 9.03 I think.

Assuming that the shifts light will work just revving the engine in neutral I had done what you suggested. Set final light to 2000, set my interval to 250 so in theory should light up from idle. Revving engine upto 2000rpm and absolutely nothing.

Assuming that the shifts light will work just revving the engine in neutral I had done what you suggested. Set final light to 2000, set my interval to 250 so in theory should light up from idle. Revving engine upto 2000rpm and absolutely nothing.

Something wrong there matey! Gave RT a call tomorrow and see what they say. I did a similar test to you when I first had the engine running, and I set the shift lights to come on at 4k so I could test them easily without annoying the neighbours (Busa engine, so 10k is a bit much).

It seems funny they come on in some cases though - like setting your brightness, or during an alarm. Mine definitely flash when first powering the unit though.

I'm sure RT will have an answer for you. Hopefully new firmware might do the trick which you can do yourself. They will send you a ROM file which you can upload to the unit.

Something wrong there matey! Gave RT a call tomorrow and see what they say. I did a similar test to you when I first had the engine running, and I set the shift lights to come on at 4k so I could test them easily without annoying the neighbours (Busa engine, so 10k is a bit much).

It seems funny they come on in some cases though - like setting your brightness, or during an alarm. Mine definitely flash when first powering the unit though.

I'm sure RT will have an answer for you. Hopefully new firmware might do the trick which you can do yourself. They will send you a ROM file which you can upload to the unit.

Well do. I hope I can resolve this without having to take my dash out again which the last meant I had to take off all my mirrors and the aeroscreen to take the dash out. Each time I do the this my nice alloy bolts look more and more shabby. Which actually come to think of it I have actually have cause to take the dash out twice before. I think I should have used dsuz fasteners!

Right I have called them. They say the first led not working is down to the status setting in the dash being set to "on". He says this should be set to "off" for a unit not connected to a Data Logger.  Apparently a unit showing the LEDS working when adjusting the brightnesss but not working as shift lights when the configuration is correct as mine is, is an issue he has not come across before!! Anyway the advice is to download the latest firmware from their site and re-flash the unit and try again. My version is 9.0.3 and he says that is really old! Which is strange because this second unit was only supplied to me less than 12months ago.

Okay I downloaded the latest firmware version which is 9.1.9. Started downloading it and half way through writing it the flasher program reported unit not responding and exited! My dash was rended useless all segments on with no back light. I got that sinking feeling, muttering to myself why oh why did I start this!

I did some searching on the racetechnolog forum and read that you can flash the unit by holding the up key down whilst powering on. I did this and the flasher program seem to responding and I re-commenced the flashing of the firmware, whilst it was doing this the fog lamp on the unit was flashing but nothing else. ten minues later, bingo the unit was alive again. But do the shift lights work, oh yes they do. So it seems I was supplied a unit with old firmware where the shift lights do not work. Watch out for this people. To check you firmware version press the down key whilst powering up the unit.

Excellent I'm glad you got it working without having to take the car apart and send it back.

Me too. By the way I have just noticed that the warning light for high and low limits has moved from a single LED1 to LED4&5 I think, well they flash orange, much better than a single green one. Its a good dash but plug and play it wasn't. I am sure that I just bought it at the wrong time, i.e. first batch of Potenza branded ones.

Its a good dash but plug and play it wasn't.

Which was the very reason for me starting this FAQ all those months ago.

I'll update my firmware too I think. I like the sound of the new warning lights.

Its a good dash but plug and play it wasn't.

Which was the very reason for me starting this FAQ all those months ago.

good point.

I've been reading the release notes of the firmware and it says the final shift lights are used for warnings, so LEDS5&6.

Hi Guys,

I just came accross this thread. I have just sold my AIM Strada MXL dash as I wasn't too happy with it. I was looking around to see what else  was available and came accross the Dash2. It looks ideal for my requirments (a Citroen C2 rally car). I just wondered how you lot rate it, I can see that some of you have had a few problems! Where is the best place to purchase one from and what's the best price? What are Race Technology like to deal with regards technical support etc..? I must say that I found  that AIM motorsports were very poor in this respect, one reason why I sold it.

Cheers,

Martin

Regards support, race technology have a forum. The forum doesn't move as quick as this one though! They do have a support and knowledge base as part of the same web site. I have a recent cause to call them the first time the other day and the phone was answered by the 2nd ring and I was already through to someone that could help and there recommendation to sort my problem out was spot on.

Have a look through this thread and you will see a number of the issues were specific to the westfield loom, earthing and sensors.

I am happy with mine apart from one thing. The RPM segment display isn't that configurable. Me running a V8 was not interested in 6000RPM plus. So I have had to set the first three points to 0.