Race Technology DASH2 wiki

Frosty

found 1 major problem the VDO sensors are for use beween 6 and 12V as it says at the top of the data sheet. The dash only provides a 5v supply! :angry:

Frosty---question...

I have a Honda s2000 engine and tranny. At the end of the tranny, there is a VSS (vehicle speed sensor). One of the wire goes all the way to the ECU and into the gauge (5V pulse wire). I connected this pulse wire to Dash2 wheel speed sensor wire. I did not connect this wire to any of the 4 analog wires.

I went to the race technology software and configured my gear values (1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th & 6th). I also entered the tire size by mm & pulse per rotation.

I loaded the file.

I turned my ignition and went to speedo. I turned the RS232 off - RS232 analog gear off but on on both dash2.

I'm not getting any speedo/odometer reading at all.

Do you have any idea?

Do you think that pulse wire has no juice?

How do I test the wire?

Thanks

found 1 major problem the VDO sensors are for use beween 6 and 12V as it says at the top of the data sheet. The dash only provides a 5v supply! :angry:

I really wouldn't worry about that working range too much. The sensors work just fine.

I'm not really sure how voltage comes into it, since the sensors are there just to give a variable level of resistance. If they required a 12v power source I could understand it, but they just need an earth and then you're good to go.

Frosty---question...

I have a Honda s2000 engine and tranny. At the end of the tranny, there is a VSS (vehicle speed sensor). One of the wire goes all the way to the ECU and into the gauge (5V pulse wire). I connected this pulse wire to Dash2 wheel speed sensor wire. I did not connect this wire to any of the 4 analog wires.

I went to the race technology software and configured my gear values (1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th & 6th). I also entered the tire size by mm & pulse per rotation.

I loaded the file.

I turned my ignition and went to speedo. I turned the RS232 off - RS232 analog gear off but on on both dash2.

I'm not getting any speedo/odometer reading at all.

Do you have any idea?

Do you think that pulse wire has no juice?

How do I test the wire?

Thanks

It al depends on how that speedo wire works on the S2000 running gear. If I were you I would remove the complications and use a dedicated speedo sensor that picks up a reading from the wheel.

An ideal sensor is documented on the very first post on this thread.

It might well be that the 5v signal from your speedo signal is not enough to register the 12v signal expected by the DASH2.

Frosty thanks---maybe not enough juice huh? I'm going crazy...I know I hooked it up right, but not getting any signal.

I also bought a race technology wheel speed sensor but I can't seems to find a target on my front wheels. There is no bolts I can target to make the hall sensor to work.

If I do this, do I need to use one of the analog wire from the dash2  or just the non-analog wire Conn 1 pin 8 N (brown)?

This is where I'm confused.

Is there anybody out here can show me a picture where you installed the wheel speed sensor and what bolts in the wheel referencing to?

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty HELP !!!

I have followed your advice previously and everything was working fine until tonight.

The oil pressure is going mad somewhere between -9999 and +9999 constantly cycling random numbers. I have tried to reprogramme the dash but nothing works. I have checked the sender and appears to be reading ok on a multi meter. Any advice ?

The only recent changes are that I have fitted a set of air horns via a relay, with a + feed directly from the battery, could this be the problem?

The water temp, RPM and fuel are working fine

The oil pressure is going mad somewhere between -9999 and +9999 constantly cycling random numbers. I have tried to reprogramme the dash but nothing works. I have checked the sender and appears to be reading ok on a multi meter. Any advice ?

Are you sure the oil pressure sender is ok? They have a habbit of destroying themselves when subjected to too much vibration - I have destroyed one myself like this.

Have you checked the reading with a multimeter with the engine running (which will vibrate the sender)?

I'm pretty sure anything to do with the horn wiring would cause a problem to all sensors and not just one.

Frosty

The car isn't on the road yet only 2 trips to the SVA so don't think its the sensor.

I have done some tests and have some strange results. if i disconnect the sensor it still brings up the random numbers (which make me think its not the sensor, however somethimes when switching on the ignition the oil pressure resets it self and starts to count upwards from zero (standard open circuit behavior i think) if I plug the sensor in it falls back to zero (engine off) but rises to 10 with the engine on (a little high) I have used your spreasheet for the values. However if i turn the ignition off and then back on the random numbers appear.

Its a bit hit and miss but I am beginning to think that the dash is faulty ???

I will speak to the factory tomorrow

Any thoughts :bangshead:

I very much doubt that the dash if faulty. If you want to be sure and save yourself the bother of it being posted and checked (a couple of weeks turn-around), swap two of the channels around. Plug the oil pressure into water temp which you know to be working as an input, making sure you update the channel data with oil pressure data from the spreadsheet too.

If you see the same behaviour then you can rule out the dash.

Have you earthed your engine? If not, try earthing the oil pressure sensor temporarily and see if this is what is causing it. Also, when trying to diagnose a problem like this, always disable any filtering do you don't get any averaging or delays on the dash when the sensor changes value.

Just 2 probs left

Randomly my shift lights flash and I get a max rpm bar at the top of the graph

The water temp is no where near the ecu reading which I can partly understand due to the different positions on the engine, at about 90 they read the same, but the thermostat opens and the ecu engine sensor shows a drop in temerature, but the dash sensor continues to rise to about 110!

Just 2 probs left

Randomly my shift lights flash and I get a max rpm bar at the top of the graph

The water temp is no where near the ecu reading which I can partly understand due to the different positions on the engine, at about 90 they read the same, but the thermostat opens and the ecu engine sensor shows a drop in temerature, but the dash sensor continues to rise to about 110!

Mine does this as well, I have actually sent mine back to Westfield for testing as the water tempreture is insanely erattic, I also have the top rev bar hitting max sometimes (it drives me nuts!) but it does seem that this is a common issue?

A level playing field then, we shouldent really be having these issues with one of the most common engines available ???

I dont understand the Rev bar change the only thing I can think of is that a current spike is causing the problem.