Race Technology DASH2 wiki

Frosty

Also I am losing my ming with connecting to Dash2! It has been so many years that I am not sure what am I doing wrong..

My Dash2 is connected to my Megasquirt through Can and reading several parameters from there. 

I am trying to connect to the Dash2 by connecting a null modem adaptor to a USB to Serial Cable (prolific) connected to the Serial Data IN port... is this right? 

Thanks

3 hours ago, acafrao said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your posts in regards to Dash2 as I have read through most of them and they helped me get to where I am today with the Dash2 wiring and installation

Glad you're moving forwards.

The only problem that still remains is the fuel level, however I just really tried different values form users of this forum in order to attempt a correct value as at that time I could not really take the westie apart.

you can read how I calibrated mine here- 

However as I know have disassembled the front and back of the westie I am keen on sorting all the kinks and problems. 

After looking for it on the forum I did not really find instructions on how to calibrate the fuel sender. Would i have to empty the tank and gradually fill it up (5l at each time per eg) and check ohm resistance or is there a better way?

See above.

1 hour ago, acafrao said:

Also I am losing my ming with connecting to Dash2! It has been so many years that I am not sure what am I doing wrong..

Yes, serial comms can be a little temperamental

My Dash2 is connected to my Megasquirt through Can and reading several parameters from there. 

Is that working?

I am trying to connect to the Dash2 by connecting a null modem adaptor to a USB to Serial Cable (prolific) connected to the Serial Data IN port... is this right? 

Thanks

Yep - have you got the driver for the USB to serial item installed?

Then in the connection settings, select the port with the USB interface on.

That’s the best way, as it automatically allows for all the variables car for car, if you read the voltages from the dash, as you add each measured shot of fuel. 

18 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Yes, serial comms can be a little temperamental

Yes the megasquirt is actually working flawlessly :))

Yep - have you got the driver for the USB to serial item installed?

Yes, I have it installed and I can select the port at the RT Software and I select the default baud rate 115420 however I can't get it to work! I have it connected to the serial port that says serial data IN. I can''t really figure it out what I am doing wrong.. ://

Then in the connection settings, select the port with the USB interface on. Yes, I've done that and tried with different Null Modem Cable and different computers! 😕

• Haha 1

Yupiiii.. :)  I have sorted the connection issues! The Null Modem adaptor was not working! Also was connecting it to the wrong side of the plug.. was connecting to the Serial data IN port instead of the port that goes directly to the Dash2 :( 

So all is good with the connection, Megasquirt is sharing the data perfectly.

Now tomorrow morning I will tackle the fuel level issues.. Can I ask what is the best way to empty the tank other than driving the car.. and preferably without disassemble the boot... 🧐

Thanks a lot everyone! :)

I clamp the fuel hose (between the tank & the pre-pump filter) with a brake line clamp near to the pre-pump filter end, remove the jubilee clamp and take the fuel pipe off. I’d then undo the fuel cap (to let the air in) and drain into a container (best jacking up the car) controlling the flow with the clamp 👍🏼

Just to give all some feedback! I have used the process above by @Matt_S and it was easy to get to it from bottom of car! Promptly proceeded to adding 1l at a time and measure voltage at Dash2 and making a note of it! Until eventually reaching a top constant value! :)

In the process found out I have a 25l tank

Thank you all for the help! 💪🏻

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a config file for vdo instruments they could let me have?

Contacted the factory but they don't have one.

Hi @John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO what firmware version is the Dash on? I'm guessing it's an older unit with V9 firmware version. To display the firmware, power it up whilst holding the down arrow.

Drop me your e-mail address in a PM, and I'll send over the Sport 2000 file which should have the correct values for the water, oil pressure and fuel level for you. You may need to tweak the gearbox values, redline etc.

Happy to help further if required.

Best regards,

Ian

• Like 1