Race Technology DASH2 wiki

Frosty

my dash is fed by the ECU so if there was a spike i would feel it in the engine, i think its a race technology fault ???

I am getting an occasional rev spike. Mine is a duratec with KMS EMS. So by the sounds of it it could be a Dash 2 problem.

Fuel Gauge also seems a little erratic, temperature seems fairly steady around 88-91

I am still getting the issue with the oil pressure reading strange figures, but have found a cure by switching the ignition off and on again the OP goes back to zero and starts reading correctly. Race Technology are stumped with this problem and have asked me to send the dash back for a check, I am a bit reluctant as I only got the car on the road for the first time on Friday and am trying to get as much use out of it as possible

I get the same, an occasional flash of all the shift lights but it is only momentary, and at the same time a max revs bar briefly appears for a second or two, at a time when I'm nowhere near max revs, not even lighting up the first green light. I am as sure as I can be that it has been installed correctly, because it was supplied and fitted recently at the factory, under Simon Naughton's supervision. Makes me wonder therefor if it might be a fault with the Dash 2 rather than an installation problem. I've not reported mine to the factory yet, mainly because I wont have my car for the next 4 weeks or so. I will do so in due course however, and in the meantime I shall follow this thread with interest.

Ive stuck a post on the race tech web site but as usual it takes about 2-3 weeks for a reply

Same thing here, occasionally all shilftlights go on, and rev bar goes to max...

Also my dash2 was a westfield factory install...

Hopefuly someone can help.

My water temp sensor came from race technology.

I'm using one of the Dash2 Bosch default configuration.

The temperature is off by much. Showing 240-260 degrees even though

its only around 160 degrees.

RT said use the configuration without equation to test the sensor.

What voltage I expect to see....let say 160-180 degrees  fahrenheit?

Is RT water sensor in 0V to 5V reference?

Also "under gear indicator" window,

Is it mandatory to enter the wheel circumference in meter?

We use inches in the States.

Thanks

Right guys, I think I have the answer. However I'm useless when it comes to computers and electronics so you'll have to humour me if my use of terminology is not quite right.

The method of solving the problem, according to information supplied to me by Westfields, following discussions they have had with Race Technology, is to alter the Dash2 configuration to reduce the maximum rate of change of rpm display. Thus as I understand it the spikes will not be displayed because they are so transient.

Simon Naughton (Mark Walker's right-hand man) is going to post in more detail when everything is updated.

Right now I'm home and able to read Simon's emails properly. Westfield have altered their configuration software, which they can supply to those who purchased the Dash2 from Westfield free of charge, to enable you to alter your "settings" (if that is the right word) yourself. This is available at this stage by email.

I guess if you have bought your Dash2 from another source you need to contact the supplier.

Another point, unrelated except that it relates to having a Dash2 in a Westfield. If you buy your Dash2 from Westfield, they have developed there own configuration file to "match" (my word) the Dash2 to the VDO/Westfield senders and the gearbox ratios as used in the Westfield current range. It means that if you want to change the parameters in your Dash2 (I want to alter my shift light settings) you nered to get the configuration file from Westfield. That is if I have correctly understood what Simon is saying to me!!

As I said earlier, I'm a numpty with computers and electronics. I think we should all go back to dizzies and manually adjusted carbs. I used to be able to understand those!!

• 1 month later...

I have setup the fuel sender as detailed, 3ohm for 0 and 130ohm for 42. I have a long range tank and it is 42litres. I want the display in litres not %. I think threre's about 6 litres in the tank and it reads -0.4 !

Any ideas before I start removing my rollbar and boot to get to the sender and dash to check the wiring.

I think the read-out in litres is better so I have come up with the following equation for a long range tank:

Fuel level in litres y = 51.9x + 0.853

I have setup the fuel sender as detailed, 3ohm for 0 and 130ohm for 42. I have a long range tank and it is 42litres. I want the display in litres not %. I think threre's about 6 litres in the tank and it reads -0.4 !

Any ideas before I start removing my rollbar and boot to get to the sender and dash to check the wiring.

I called Westfield today and they gave me the following equation which seems to work, that is if the fuel level tank is from a scale from 0.0 to 1.0 in 0.1 increments. I put in 4 litres and it shows 0.1 which for a 42 litre tank is not far wrong:

scaling: y = + 1.24x - 2.03e - 2.03e-2

maximum rate of change: 0.1

number of samples: 99

decimal places: 1

• Like 1

Copied from my post in the Tech section for future reference should it help anyone.

Right here are the part numbers for the Bosch sensors

Water temp  0 280 130 026

Connector for above sensor  1 237 000 036 (comes with terminal and sealing boot)

Oil temp  0 281 002 170

Connector for above sensor  1 928 403 137

I have the terminals and sealing rubbers for the above connector as you can only buy them in packs of 50  :suspect:  so if anybody wants some I can supply at cost to me and the plus a first class stamp.

Link to the pdf of sensor information here

Final thing is when the sensors turned up today the supplier had sent equivalent aftermarket sensors even though I had asked for Bosch ones.

I have located the correct ones now and they will cost me approximately £11.50 each plus VAT.This is still quite a saving over RT's prices.

Still waiting for an email from the oil pressure sender supplier,will add that here when I get it

• 2 months later...

Having problems getting water temperature reading correctly. I have the standard Westfield VDO sensor. I have two points of reference to check it. 1) The fan comes on at 89c and 2) I have installed a bosch sensor for my megaquirt ECU and this is already calibrated oh and 3) I have a temp probe.

Everything seems to be confirm the correct temperature except the dash! for example, a real 89c shows as 99c on the dash. I have tried inputting the values from the VDO spec sheet. Tried Westfield's latest config setup which seems the closest. At ambient temperature it read 19, real was 22, so this is close.

edit: I think I know what the issue is. Engine has cooled down a bit so I have been probing it with my temp probe. I read the temperature of the sensor body for the fan switch, dash sensor and ECU sensor. The ECU and fan switch both register as 45c whilst the dash sensor body registers 49c. I think the location of the dash sensor basically is in the stream of other sources of heat, I suspect from the radiator. It is also in a more confidened area. I think its heat soak and hence why it gets warmer.

I'm having issues with the fuel on mine ATM, it reads 1 whatever I do with it, I need to check out the wiring I think.

Just as an aside I have the serial ECU data converter which I couldn't get to work at all.

I have  an Emerald K3 which you connect to the computer via a non standard serial cable.

What the instructions for the serial converter did not say was that you also connect the dash to the serial converter via this cable.

Fortunately no damage has been done to the ECU and it's all working fine.

The data appears where you want it no need to mess about calibrating the feeds ect  :D

Chaz.