• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gbduo

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• James

• perksy

no.... I know what your saying, I also have a 1975 RS2000 MK1 with a 2.0ltr Vulcan Pinto in with rally cams so I do understand the "urge"

good luck with the hunt mate and if your at a show I am sure one of us will "pop" you out for a feel of what 170 - 200 bhp can do....

Regards

Jay

cool, i should be at detling on the 12th, hopefully!

thanks!

He has already had the 200bhp experiance with Cleggy  :devil:

Didn't realise you bought a different Westie  ???

And how long did he drive it for?

why do you have to drive a car to experience around 200bhp?

???

you are really not going to change my mind, i am a stubborn git!  especially when i have my mind set on something!

He has already had the 200bhp experiance with Cleggy  :devil:

Didn't realise you bought a different Westie  ???

And how long did he drive it for?

Hi m8 ... not sure what you mean, I have only had one Westfield, and it has always had a duratec with throttle bodies? so around 200bhp

I drove Graham out for a quick ten minute spin, it was very cold and was dark but it certainly gave him a flavour of the car and power don't think I would let anybody drive this sort of car that wasn't used to it

By the way folks -- Graham is a nice young decent sorta guy - he just wants his 200bhp  :p

Don't let the old folks on here bully you Graham, they're just jealous of your youth - if you want 200bhp and can afford it, then do it.

But... the desire for upgrades will still be there. Just like if you start at 170 you'll soon want 200, if you start with 200, you'll soon want 230. :)

I remember the first time I used full throttle in 2nd in my 150bhp (albeit 420kg) car it scared the life out of me and I was actually worried it was too quick. Now it feels pedestrian, though I'm leaving work in 20 mins to drive it home and am still excited at the thought :)

With all this talk of BHP, i would be forgiven for thinking that we had forgotten about Tourque. Surely this is what you want, as this is what gives you the thump and ultimately is the measure of what the engine can produce?

Lest not forget the transmission and drive ratios......

You want "the buzz of acceleration", then please pay attention to the brakes and tyres fitted, as the buzz might not be quite what you were thinking.

Frankly like Mr Purves, I am just amazed at these kind of threads and the expectations of some.

Be determined and stubbon in your quest for the ultimate car by all means, I admire that, but perhaps heeding some of the warnings given by others and taking in a more objective view of the car as a whole would be a good start.....I am sure your uncle would agree

Markcoopers:

Fair point about torque, i stupidly neglected that thought and assumed the VX and Zetec produced similar torque no matter what the gearbox/tranny!  How silly!  

What is a good thing to look for then in terms of torque?  I am not too worried about oodles of torque, because by my reasoning, and I could be very wrong, you don't need LOADS to move such a small lightweight car, but obviously you need a balance between bhp and torque, of course.

The reason I didn't buy Mark's as much as I wanted to was because I didn't want to buy the first car I saw.  Secondly, I absolutely loved Mark's car, absolutely loved it but my Parents were not keen and as I am relying on them to keep it in their house and their garage, I have to respect their wishes.  As much as I am still not sure I made the right decision, but I am sure it will come up for sale again eventually, when I have my own place.

I am not rigid on 200bhp at all, I want a car around 200bhp, by this I mean from around 170bhp upwards.  I just want the higher ranges.

I respect all opinions posted Mark, I take the advice on board and I agree that perhaps I am being too specific, this is all a learning curve for me, and a rather steep one I think!  

When the right car comes up I will know, but until then i appreciate all advice, even if i don't necessarily agree with it!  I don't want to be a dangler or come across as one, sorry if i do.

best regards,

Graham

Torque! well that's where it all gets interesting! Mark is 100% correct the torque figure is far more important than BHP but it is rarely mentioned.

I have a freind with a 2.0L atmo Cossie which produce's FAR more BHP than my 2.0L Zetec! mine 175 BHP his 200.5 BHP (run on the same road on the same day) his produces the power at the top end (not suprising!) but mine produce's more torque than his does! so as Mark say's BHP isnt the bee all and end all, and a BHP figure is only as good as the rolling road the car was run on and the road operator!

Nope, sorry, torque is gay. Ask the bloke in the Purple SE30 Diablo I followed home today. That had lots of torque, but it couldn't shake me between roundabouts. :)

Admittedly I took a car's length off him every time he went for a gear and that's what kept me up his tail pipes, but my 80ftlb made his 472ftlb seem rather unnecessary.

b*****d noisy them V12s - there's not much I can hear above my car at 12000 revs. :)

Engine was new staright from westy just over a year ago, they claim 205bhp, as I have posted before in these forums most people are saying that 190bhp is a more realistic figure - I am not bothered about the figure as long as it goes