Newbie requires a helping hand!

gbduo

Hi Guys,

My name is Graham, I am 21 and currently reside in sunny Southampton at uni, but Reading when I am at home!

I have been looking at Westfield's for years; I helped to build a Lotus 7 replica when I was 14 at school, from scratch and ever since then I have wanted to own one myself!  

Well finally I have saved up enough money (I think) to get a decent Westfield I have started looking seriously, and my goodness how things have changed in 7 years!  

I have found a few and am in contact with a dealer in Birmingham (Andrew Rowe if any of you guys know him?) and he currently has a few Westfields in which I am interested in.

However, I have a few questions!

Is there much of a difference between the 1.8 Zetec and the 2ltr?  The Westfield I am looking at has Alpha Programmable ignition, fast road cams and Weber 40s, so I think that means it is roughly running about 170bhp if it was a 2ltr, is there much difference with it being a 1.8?  And furthermore, is the 1.8 as tuneable and easy to work on, are parts easy to come by?

Secondly, what are key things to look for when buying a Westfield SEiW?  Are there any common problems and faults, or is it different for every single car?

What would constitute a really desirable car, what kind of spec for my budget of £8-9k?  

I would ideally like a 2ltr, but only because in my books there is no replacement for displacement, but equally the 2ltr is heavier and if there is no real difference then the 1.8 should be fine, unless there are issues with tuning and upgrading parts on the 1.8?

Sorry for all the questions!  

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Graham Harvey

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gbduo

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• James

• perksy

Welcome     :t-up:

Have a read   HERE

Also the Local WSCC Meet is your friend

There You'll find Westfield folk who will be able to advise and you'll also get the chance to try a few cars for size...

Personally i would go 2 ltr. as you say theres no substitute for cubes, you are right on the power front. a healthy 2 ltr should give between 160 1nd 170 bhp. there were a few different versions of the 1.8 so with the carbs and ignition you could have anywhere between 130 and 155 bhp.

Welcome     :t-up:

Have a read   HERE

Also the Local WSCC Meet is your friend

There You'll find Westfield folk who will be able to advise and you'll also get the chance to try a few cars for size...

Brilliant, thanks for the link!

I can't see for looking, lol!

Right, I shall sign up for the WSCC now then and get in touch with my local club...

2litre duratec was my choice...very happy with - always grabs you by the balls  :D

Personally i would go 2 ltr. as you say theres no substitute for cubes, you are right on the power front. a healthy 2 ltr should give between 160 1nd 170 bhp. there were a few different versions of the 1.8 so with the carbs and ignition you could have anywhere between 130 and 155 bhp.

Ah cool ok,

I shall keep hunting for a 2ltr then ideally, although, test driving a 1.8 against a 2ltr can't be a bad thing to do!

I like power, so 170bhp would be more welcome.  Then again, I am used to Seat Ibiza 1.4 with 85bhp so, 100bhp more in a car that weighs half the weight should be fun!

Haha!

Some Bargians about at the moment so there's no need to rush to buy    

Take your time and get the Right car

Don't rule out the Vauxhall XE    ;)      :cool:     :devil:

2litre duratec was my choice...very happy with - always grabs you by the balls  :D

All the duratec models I have looked at have been well over £10k, so a little out of my budget.  

I want to get one as my second Westie I think...but then I have plans to fit the Honda Civic Type R engine into a Westfield as well, VTEC!!!  :D

Graham, welcome to the forum, glad to see you here.

- As you already know, i did a fair bit of asking and looking around here myself before i bought mine. All be it with a smaller budget.

Was out in it today, ever the fool, love it, even if "well it was sunny in the morning" rang weak come time to go home in the snow at 6.

Daniel

What are the advantages of the XE over the Zetec?

Really Don't know where to Start Mate  

Think We'd be here All Night     :D     :D    :devil:    :devil:

Retreats to Under ground shelter      :oops:      :D

Graham, welcome to the forum, glad to see you here.

- As you already know, i did a fair bit of asking and looking around here myself before i bought mine. All be it with a smaller budget.

Was out in it today, ever the fool, love it, even if "well it was sunny in the morning" rang weak come time to go home in the snow at 6.

Daniel

Hi Dan,

Yep, left TSR Motoring for dust, this seems better, lol!

Yeh, that has got to be the romance of it, going out at the weekends, with Dad in his XKE and just going for a blast at any excuse.  

I see this more as an investment and I have been saving for yonks, so want to buy a good one, however, when you start seeing them, it is hard to keep emotions and brain seperate, lol!

I am going up to see a dealer in B'ham who has quite a few in on the 21st Feb, so just trying to get my knowledge up before I get bombarded with sales pitch!

Cheers dude,

G

Haha, its like that is it, the rivalry, Ooooo the tension! :D

Is there a huge difference between the two or are they similar in their power delivery, which engine is better suited in a state of low tune?

Am I asking how long is a piece of string, here?!

Haha, its like that is it, the rivalry, Ooooo the tension! :D

Is there a huge difference between the two or are they similar in their power delivery, which engine is better suited in a state of low tune?

Am I asking how long is a piece of string, here?!

Lets just say You might get a a Few Different opinions    ;)      :oops:     :D