Newbie requires a helping hand!

gbduo

I know i took 3years to buy my "right" Westy BUT i knew how much it cost to build ££££ with the Dunnell engine, gearbox and LSD, 3D mappable, etc etc etc and I could not have afforded or justified that amount of spend.....

I dont think the market moves huge amounts as Westfields are worth what they are worth, most people have a garage to store the car in out of season....

there are always people around with the money looking for boyz toyz or weekend fun cars that dont drop the price like a stone over a few years.

My 1st Westy I bought for £6950 through Autotrader and sold 4 years later for £6500 on fleebay, not bad depreciation rate.

To get the one I have i had to increase my money but stil expect not to loose too much if i ever sell........

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gbduo

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• James

• perksy

Graham,

The one at the dealer, if it is good, and you have cash, haggle hard for the price you want. Don't upset the man with loads of internet similar cars at lower prices, but stand your ground and see what happens....He can say no.

The blue one, as others have said, it is what is in it now that counts. Personally i diss like comments like "i am or build by an engineer", they are used to give any purchaser a feeling of confidence in a car, which is just the point, a feeling not an exact science. Some of the factory builds are terible, others excellent, so take these claims with a pinch of salt. I don't remember the original advert but the car looks good. Wheels are easily changed and i suggest you do as these are the wrong offset for the geometry and "suggest" to me a "cheap" way of building a car, at odds with the description The unsightly hole can be easily fixed, a comon mod is to cut the front tub off about 18"-24" from the front, than over fit new front bits that overlap the original and look like extra cooling slots.

The Swindon engine in this one would of cost a fortune to make, and is everything you wished for.

The brakes and transmission are nothing special, but the time and prep lavished on tha ali panneling is a good sign. Description is slightly at odds/conflicting at times, as is being a perfectionish/taking care to build but leaving a sodding big hole......just reads odd to me.

Both look good and towards what you want, the Zetec one is a newer chassis and looks more "mainstreme" if such a thing exists. Both would be great cars to own if they check out OK.

Graham,

The one at the dealer, if it is good, and you have cash, haggle hard for the price you want. Don't upset the man with loads of internet similar cars at lower prices, but stand your ground and see what happens....He can say no.

The blue one, as others have said, it is what is in it now that counts. Personally i diss like comments like "i am or build by an engineer", they are used to give any purchaser a feeling of confidence in a car, which is just the point, a feeling not an exact science. Some of the factory builds are terible, others excellent, so take these claims with a pinch of salt. I don't remember the original advert but the car looks good. Wheels are easily changed and i suggest you do as these are the wrong offset for the geometry and "suggest" to me a "cheap" way of building a car, at odds with the description The unsightly hole can be easily fixed, a comon mod is to cut the front tub off about 18"-24" from the front, than over fit new front bits that overlap the original and look like extra cooling slots.

The Swindon engine in this one would of cost a fortune to make, and is everything you wished for.

The brakes and transmission are nothing special, but the time and prep lavished on tha ali panneling is a good sign. Description is slightly at odds/conflicting at times, as is being a perfectionish/taking care to build but leaving a sodding big hole......just reads odd to me.

Both look good and towards what you want, the Zetec one is a newer chassis and looks more "mainstreme" if such a thing exists. Both would be great cars to own if they check out OK.

Mark, as ever, thanks for your endless knowledge and advice!

I break up from uni next week so have like 4 weeks to look at cars and drive around the country so will probably have a nice drive up to see both cars in the next couple of weeks.  

With your knowledge and advice, I am sure I am well prepared for any eventuality!

Tbh, the blue one is shouting at me atm, due to the engine and bodywork, but I also see your point, will need some in depth investigation I think.

The yellow one at the dealer is a bit hard to judge because the advert is only stating facts and few of them compared to the blue car advert so harder to make a judgement on the car.  Either way I agree, both worth seeing, even if it is just to get a better feel for what is out there...

Thanks mate!

Graham

I can help with build and diagnosis on any kitcars, a few beers and i'm bought ha ha

Sounds interesting!  

Where abouts are you in the UK?

would always buy this sort of car from the owner rather than a dealer - you can get a really good feel from the owner as to how the car has been built and looked after ...

I always think if the sellers garage is tidy and sorted the car will probably be the same ... and it is much better to run through all the receipts with the owner, this un earths all sorts of facts

Yeh but I don't feel as bad mugging off a dealer as I would a owner.

Not that I would do that to a owner, but at the same time, it is much better to waste a dealers time!

But yeh fair point mate!

most people that are selling atm are I guess selling down to financial reasons, so it really is not fair to waste their time if you have no intention of buying there car ...

shame you cannot get to some shows so you can check lots of cars out as a westfield enthusiast rather than a prospecive buyer - I think all westfield owners love to talk about there pride and joys  :D  I do even though I know b****r all about it  :blush:

most people that are selling atm are I guess selling down to financial reasons, so it really is not fair to waste their time if you have no intention of buying there car ...

shame you cannot get to some shows so you can check lots of cars out as a westfield enthusiast rather than a prospecive buyer - I think all westfield owners love to talk about there pride and joys  :D  I do even though I know b****r all about it  :blush:

yeh exactly so i don't want to see a car and give someone hope when it is not deserved.

I would never do that to anyone.

there does not seem to be that many new cars going up for sale atm . . . there was a lot more when I started looking in September last year ...

I guess that suggests that maybe many of the better cars were snapped up and other owners are holding on for the spring summer season to use their motors...

having said that I know that the recession will force more cars onto the market over the coming months ...keep hunting

It is sooooo hard to have to wait till August though!  I want one...

Grrr now you, Mum, my girlfriend are all saying wait, I am becoming a minority! Haha!

I'll see if that blue car has sold in a couple of weeks and my fiscal situation and then might go and see it as a mini diversion upon going to see the Mrs.  Ummm...

Thank you ever so much for all your help tho guys, has taught me so much!

Do keep the cars coming, but I don't think I will be buying now until August time :(

Hopefully by then my parents won't be moaning about it!  *Fingers Crossed*

:D