• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• westfieldbhh

• carpetstu

• markcoopers

• PeP

i am told i need 45s for a 2.0

Nope, 40's will be fine up to around 155-160 hp.

If you are going down the 45's route you need the progression holes adapting to 5 holes.

Perksy was kind enough to tell me about it when I did mine.

So i have some shonky old 40s on my xflow that will run on the zetec.

That's fueling sorted now what about ignition obviously the luminision will be no good.

thanx for all the help.

That's fueling sorted now what about ignition obviously the luminision will be no good.

where do i go from here.

thanks for all the help.

That's fueling sorted now

not quite ... they will need rejetting & possibly rechoking - so bank on iro of an additional 150.  Probably wise to give them a service kit while you're at it if they're misbehaving on the xflow.

You've got quite a few options for the ignition management ... if you give the search function a quick go you'll be inundated with views.  It ranges from hacking into the ford ecu, through megasquirt/jolt and into the realms of Omex & emerald.

I did an 'executive summary' in the FAQ section on here for going xflow to zetec acouple of years ago - have a nose at that aswell :)

I pressume part of the reason for the swap is the reliability advantage - unfortunately by using older parts from your crossflow instal the newer engine will be no more reliable.

A crossflow in itself is very reliable it's the bits bolted to it that are letting it down so don't re-use them or you will end up with the same problems!

Fit fuel injection whilst you can - the cost of servicing the carbs and setting them up will not be far off the cost of a set of throttle bodies that will be right for your engine rather than compromised carbs.

save a bit longer and you will have a much better set up.

Go for 40/45mm throttle bodies (40mm throttle bodies are roughly equivelent to 45mm carbs as there is no venturi in a throttle body) and a decent 3D engine management system.

Personally I'd prefer to fit the standard Ford injection than your older carbs - it will probably run better and be more reliable unless you do a complete overhaul of the carbs.

The standard Zetec sump is also next to useless in a Westfield as it sits to Low and is incorrectly baffled for fitment into a Westfield so this will also need changing.

No matter how you tackle it it won't be a cheap swap to get a nice instal.

It is often cheaper to sell the car you have and buy a zetec powered Westfield TBH.

Nearly finished converting CVH to Zetec 2.0 litre silvertop.

Estimated cost £2200 to £2,500.

Second hand 45's sold the 40's on e-bay, result was about £200 to upgrade with correct jets and choke (previous owner upgrading to throttle bodies)

Same guy (cheers Dave) Great source for Omex and fuel pressure regulator.

As said 1.8 flywheel, clutch required (Preferable) , thrust bearing (capri), Zetec 1.8 water pump, alternator mounting bracket, shortened sump and pick up pipe, Revised pipe work for cooling, (didnt use water rail as expensive). Inlet manifold, ARP conrod bolts (recommended). Oil, oil filter, bolts , pipes, and fluids. Exhaust manifold and new link pipe to silencer. Engine mounts, etc.

In addition exhaust outlet on passenger side so hole may need cutting or enlarging.

May have been cheaper to sell and buy, but I wanted the learning experience. Besides have seen a CVH on ebay go for £3,500 just before x mass. With the £2,500 upgrade cost would have needed to buy a 2 litre xe or zetec for less than £6,000.00.

Recovered about £300 pounds so far selling old bits, so about £1,900 to £2200 actual cost of upgrade.

Hope of help.

Cheers Jeff :)

Cost me the best part of £2700 to do the CVH to 2.0 Zetec mod about 4 years ago.

Used new (last of genuine Webers) 45's and it read 175BHP at the rolling road.  Twin 40's will not be ideal for this setup as they will not deliver enough fuel.

Jetting is important and needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing, don't skimp on this area and with the increase in power a properly setup suspension will be most definitely required, in hindsight I would have spent my money on suspension first then on modifiying as there is no point having all the power if the car is badly setup.

Good fun and enjoy it when done.

older westies might need a chassis diagonal cut away for the plenum / plastic inlet - maybe floor mounted brake cylinder too.

that and an extra cv joint in the steering column and a support partway along its length..

on a 50quid mondeo the fuel pump is tank mounted, so you'd have to source another, &/or get the tank adapted.. or poss an extra swirl pot if you have a low press. electric pump for the twin webers already

if it is an automatic then the engines are rarely overworked, but you'd need a different flywheel. either the 2.0 or the lighter 1.8

ford loom might need the key for the immobiliser circuit.. reusing the ecu is possible, but with different inlet and exhaust setup than std then it might never optimise its mixture....shouldn't hurt anything though - it'd be a good runner.

Ditto on the cvh - zetec upgrade costs.

The sump is good advice ... I was stupid enough to try running mine on the standard one for a while and it grounded in wales and bled 5ltrs of oil.

IMHO its worth every penny of the upgrade costs but it will use lots of new parts.

i am haveing second thoughts now

didnt think it would cost £2000.

Tbh I used a new crated engine, and could maybe have done it cheaper with a scrappy but given I would have stripped the scrappy and rebuilt it there probably wasn't much in it.

I thought maybe £1500 ish but with the webers, cooling system, new radiator, clutch bits,alternator kit and sump the bill went up a tad more!

I recon about £2000 all in. RR session and all thefluids and gaskets cost a tad. It can be cheaper and 2nd hand bits are a good idea, but sometimes not all they are craked up to be. I got a set of cheap 45's for £100 once, turned out to be good for full throttle only as only 2 progression drillings and no hope for any more as too old and know one wanted to drill them. Still it ran and kept me happy for 12 months.

2nd hand diff is possible, but again check it for play/serviceability. Then you still have to build it into the casing, so not always as cheap as initially thought. Also if removing the axle yourself, don't drop the dif in your face when under the car, it hurts.