20XE

Rory's Dad

Our 20XE does not have a cover over the cambelts and I'm just wondering if I should fit a cover (which I have).

Firstly, does any good come from not having a cover??  I feel that the damage that could be done by a lump of gravel far outways any advantages.  I'm also wondering about some sheet ali fixed under the nose and cut round the sump.  The bulk of my miles is commuting.

Secondly, do all redtops have the same cam cover?? Ours is different from some in that it is not shaped to fit the cover but may have been trimmed back to be rectangular at the front.

Thanks in advance.  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

For my money runing without a cam belt cover is risky as one small stone will ruin an engine. Many leave them off as it makes swinging cams and belt changes quicker. Those who do this often have the rasied lip which the cam cover butts up to machined off the cam cover which makes it much neater.

Some do, some don't, some have trapped a stone and thrown a belt, some have got a stone caught inside the cover and still thrown a belt. The key thing is to do what you feel comfortable with!

I used to run covered up, prior to having verniers, dry sump etc. but was always removing the cover to check on the belt, knowing that you push the engine a lot harder due to trackdays etc.

Since then I run exposed  :blush:  as the modified pulley's left big gaps where stones could get in, which I believed to be a problem & it makes checking / maintenance far easier.

Hence why I purchased a "cam train infill" piece from Swindon Race engines, around £100 I recall.

13053.jpeg

13187.jpeg

Pauls option looks good but I still would run with a correctly fitted cover unless running with a smaller alternator pulley as Paul has. The smaller pulley will leave a gap at the bottom of the cover which could cause a problem the Pauls system looks like the way to go.

Pauls option looks good but I still would run with a correctly fitted cover unless running with a smaller alternator pulley as Paul has. The smaller pulley will leave a gap at the bottom of the cover which could cause a problem the Pauls system looks like the way to go.

Thing is though Matt How many of us run with Covers protecting the Dry sump belt    ???     (i don't)

a stone can get in there just as easy as the Timing belt    :down:

One or two folks have Lunched engines because the Alternator belts broke and either taken the timing belt OR Dry sump belt out     :down:

Guess Any of Us can have Bad Luck no matter what opinion We have on this one     ???

Have to say i  like Pauls Infill piece    :cool:

Mmm like the in-fill bit.  :xmas:  :xmas:  :xmas:

any way to avoid the belt to slip or brake? just change it every when or what to look after?

Infill piece   looks great!!!:)

Thing is though Matt How many of us run with Covers protecting the Dry sump belt    ???     (i don't)

a stone can get in there just as easy as the Timing belt    :down:

One or two folks have Lunched engines because the Alternator belts broke and either taken the timing belt OR Dry sump belt out     :down:

Guess Any of Us can have Bad Luck no matter what opinion We have on this one     ???

Have to say i  like Pauls Infill piece    :cool:

True dry sump belts could get damaged because they dont run covers. I look at it like this I cant think one one motor manufacture that thinks it ok to run without a cover on the cam belt. That tells me something as the must spend millions  on designing making and fitting them. But if you dont feel the need to fit one and say it wont happen to me thats ok by me. ;)

Hence why I purchased a "cam train infill" piece from Swindon Race engines, around £100 I recall.

Paul out of interest what is it made of?

I think the material is Nylacast , the paperwork doesn't enlighten me. So gues it would be a question for Swindons.

Ok Paul thanks looks a good idea though. £100 seems a lot of money for what it is but not a lot for what it could save you. ;)

It's from Swindon though, so £100 ish is probably quite cheap for them  :D