Facet Electronic Fuel Pump - 574A

NonTechie

Hi Experts,

My Westie started on Wednesday and I left it on the drive ticking over for a few minutes.  When I returned it had cut out and I was unable to restart it.  The fuel gauge showed half full so I did the usual to no avail.  Today I tapped the fuel tank and it sounded empty so I detached the fuel line at the carburettor and turned the key - NOTHING.  I then detached the fuel line at the fuel pump and nothing.  NO FUEL?  After topping up with a gallon I did the checks again.  There was only a dribble from the pump so I guess it's what I would technically call 'knackered'.

I've removed the pump and searched the internet where I found the Facet Electronic Fuel Pump - 574A on Merlin Motorspor but there are various PSI versions.  I've checked the build folder but it only states '1 x Fuel Pump kit'. Can anyone please tell me what PSI mine might be?

Thanks,

Learner!!

Is it a solid state (box shaped) or an interuptor (cylindrical) ?

Carbs or injection ?

If carbs, you'll possibly need to fit a regulator and set to correct pressure with an inline pressure gauge.

I've had cylindrical pump fail on me and am now on a solid state unit.

Are you sure it's the pump and not a dodgy connection? I fell in to that trap and bought a new pump only to find the earth needed re-making!

I agree with Langy. If you're on carbs, and assuming you don't have a stupudly powerful engine, the PSI rating of the pump is largely irrelevant as it will have to be regulated. If you don't have a fuel pressure regulator, then you *must* fit one as a matter of urgency...

I'll fit the 'old' pump again and clean up the connections before I spend what's left of my ill gotten gains.

If that fails:-

It's a rectangular fuel pump that I believe is solid state and I have a couple of twin Webbers.

I don't believe I have a regulator and as I've had the car for a couple of years (though I'll never be a techie!) I doubt if I need one but I'm willing to be told different.

The Merlin Motorsport website has solid state pumps from 1.5 PSI to  7 PSI.

(though I'll never be a techie!) I doubt if I need one but I'm willing to be told different.

The Merlin Motorsport website has solid state pumps from 1.5 PSI to  7 PSI.

You need one...

Thanks All,

I cleaned the connections and refitted and hey presto it's working as well (as badly?) as before.

At least I learned how to replace a fuel pump if I need to in the future :blush:

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Doyou have a regulator?

Too much fuel *will* kill your engine with bore wash. How quickly depends on how much fuel. I killed a nat asp Cossie in 500 miles with just 6psi of unregulated fuel pressure. You have been warned...

I suffered the same problem within aday so had to resort to a new fuel pump from Merlin Motorsport.  I followed previous advise and have fitted a 2.5 to 3PSI and touch wood it's so far so good

Thanks for all the advice.