3 point to 4 point harness?

vt-marty

afternoon all.

ive had my westy since january and all is well.

one thing im considering is changing the harness' over the winter.

my '92 seiw has 1 harnes fixing point in the centre of the seat position behind the seat. and the rear section of the harness strap is made to the right length to suit that fixing point.

other 3 point harness's available seem to have long adjustable sections on the back strap. i dont think these woudl work on my car?

if i wanted to change to 4 point harness and change the rear fixing points i guess i should drill the chassis to suit the screwed eyebolt pieces and weld one in?

anyone done this?

anyone still with me?  :D

We did this last year, you just need to get four threaded bosses (can be supplied by Westfield) and have them welded to the chassis.

When purchasing seatbelts, if you go for the ones described for Westfields/Cateringvans then they have a lot shorter straps. Also if you are sprinting it is worth getting 3 inch straps as last year we had a few issues convincing scrutineers that 3 point, 2 inch straps are acceptable in the blue book for Sprinting (road going), especially when running 1B tyres.

good answer!

one question. when you say "welded to the chassis" do you have to drill the shs (sq. hollow section) tubing or do these threaded bosses weld to the outside of th shs tubing?

cheers mate

No drilling required, the boss is just a tube with a thread down the centre, this is then just placed vertically against the rear of the top chassis member and welded from each side. Make sure you get welded by a professional, unless you know your very very good - your life could depend on it!

If you have a boot box, take that off and you will see how the existing one is attached, the new one will attach in exactly the same manor.

From memory when sitting in the car the one on your right shoulder will need to be up against the rollbar mounting plate and the left one will need to be same distance from the existing one.

ahh yes, ive seen that arangement of parts in a pic somewhere. 2 easy fillet welds to hold it in place.

yep bootbox out and have a nosey

think this is a cert for winter projects then. some nice new harness' with adjustment near the buckle not at the fixing end(down the side of the seat.

good man.

did my 92 seiw 2 year ago as described. i have a 6 point fitted now!

ok i just bought a pair of new westfield willans harness' in 4pt style.

where do i buy the little female threaded tubes from to be welded to the chassis? ive googled and can only find plates to suit eyebolts. not the tubes that thee 7/16 UNF eyebolts fit into.

cheers.

Sorry - should have included that earlier, Westfield sell them - from memory only a couple of pounds.

no worries, ive looked but as we all know the online shop isnt the best for browsing through...

i'll look again or call them...

thanks guys