zetec waterpump replacement

boris77

How often should the waterpump be replaced? I'm assuming its as and when needed? The reason I ask is I'm in the process of sorting a zetec blacktop. Pulling off the waterpump it looks in pretty good nick, feels quite smooth etc. The engine it came from had 90,000 miles on it.

To be on the safe side I assume its a replace job anyway, original ford part best?

On the zetec silver top and blacktop they are reliable with no "known" problems that I have heard of, so I'd either refit it or replace with another ford unit or quality aftermarket unit. Saying that if it's a 2ltr engine you'll need an 1800cc pump anyway.

The zetec se fitted to the puma & fiesta has known problems & regularly leak + need replacement.

hth

Mark.

if it's a 2ltr engine you'll need an 1800cc pump anyway.

I don't think so mate.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but there is only one water pump that fits the 2L blacktop, and thats the 2L blacktop pump.

Yep. Blacktop you use the 2.0 litre pump. Got one on order, nice friendly ford dealer gave me a nice discount too.  :t-up:

if it's a 2ltr engine you'll need an 1800cc pump anyway.

I don't think so mate.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but there is only one water pump that fits the 2L blacktop, and thats the 2L blacktop pump.

Ah right, I assumed it was the same for the silvertop, which I am far more familiar with...  :D

• 10 years later...

Any suggested brands for replacement of the 2l blacktop water pump? Or just get a ford?

Thanks

Ok cool, never heard of FirstLine but the internet says they are okish.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Seller says they have had waterpumps from Burton Power of the same brand and has had no issues. It's now fitted to the engine so all is well. I'll let you know in ten years if it's survived the first 30k!

Cheers

Daniel