Electronic Ignition

minisweeper

finally getting stuck in to the wiring (ok, so I'm slow...!)

On the Ford VR sensor as pictured in post #25 in this thread there are two wires - one blue with a yellow stripe and one blue with a red stripe (might not be red but I'm colour blind !). Anyone know which one is positive and which one negative, or does it even matter?

Cheers

Rich

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minisweeper

• RichP

• Hammy

• Blatman

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It flippin' works! Started first time on the "safe" limphome mode - now need to hook up the ECU - all the wiring is done so should be ok

Question tho - the TPS I have requires a 5v supply from the megajolt ecu. I don't know if the V-Ref (pin 6) output from the ecu is 12v or 5v - anyone know? If it's 12v, what do I do? Don't want to fry it as soon as I plug it in.

Cheers

Rich

Yap, realised that as soon as I wrote the post!   :durr:

If it's 12v I'm not sure what to do tho. I'll check first and worry later!

Edited to add for the reference of future readers: it's a 5v output.

All done and 3D seems to be working fine as well - chuffed to bits.

I have 2 wires not connected to anything that I'm not sure about:

Pin 4 - "Option" - Indicates ignition configuration 1 or 2. Connect to ground if only 1 used.

This is currently not connected to anything - does it matter or should I earth it? If I want to run 2 maps, what should it be connected to to trigger the second map?

Pin 13 - "Rev Lim" - Open circuit until active, then grounded.

This is currently not connected to anything - if I want the rev limiter to work, should I connect this to earth?

Many thanks

Rich

You can get a pretty standard on off switch from somewhere like maplins to connect to your option input and also to ground - therefore 'on' should be 1 and 'off' should be 2 or whatever.

Great feeling when it fires up first time isnt it! :)

Have you connected all your aux outputs up then?  I haven't bothered with mine.

Yep - couldn't believe it when it started - I was terrified that I'd have connected something wrong as I soldered and bound all the connections - would have been a right pain if I'd made a mistake somewhere!

No aux outputs yet - just a bunch of wires! I  have a set of 3 LED's to turn into shift lights when I get round to it.

The only thing I haven't checked is that the trigger wheel is correctly aligned so that in limp home mode it fires at 10 degrees btdc as I don't have a timing strobe, but is seems to run ok. Certainly much smoother, most of the popping and banging has gone on the over-run.

What did you hook your rev limiter output to - earth? I'd like that to work as I used to have one on the coil and the engine seems keen to rev past a point that I think is safe.

I dont have my rev limited connected - in the guide it mentioned something which was starting to sound complex (I think it needs an additional board?) and it has a soft limiter built in so I thought i'd just rely on that.  I have a shift light on my digital dash set at somewhere in the high 5's (i think) which I assume is suitable enough.

There is an output from the EDIS module for the rev counter I just connected mine to that and it worked !!

I used small LEDS ( actually an adapted LED torch) to give me a shift light.  One side of the led is connected to a 1k ohm resistor to an ignition switched positive the other side connected to a programmable output. By  hacking the inside of the torch I swapped some leds for green and red ones to give me a three stage shift light using 3 programmable outputs from the Mega jolt.

If you are not happy with that use a standard relay connected to a positive supply and the MJ output and switch the lamp of your choice.

I have not bothered with a rev limiter.