Electronic Ignition

minisweeper

So following on from my various troubles over the last year or so and after a few conversations with various people, I've decided it's probably worth having a go with electronic ignition.  I know the lumenition and megajolt kits both seem quite popular but it's all new to me and I'm not sure what the difference is or which is better.  Would someone mind giving me a quick run down of how they work and which they'd recommend?  Cost isnt such a problem (I believe they're both sub £200ish?) but ease of install/use probably is!  I've tried a search but I must say I've never found it to be particularly effective even though I'm sure the information will be on here somewhere!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minisweeper

• RichP

• Hammy

• Blatman

Top Posters In This Topic

Lumenition is a simple set of parts that exchange the points and condenser for proper solid state electronics that provide a fatter spark.

Megajolt is a fully mapable ignition only ECU system. If you're handy with a soldering iron and want to go through the Megajolt fitting experience, then it is a far better solution. Don't underestimate just how much work it will take though. By comparison, you'd probably have the Lumentition up and running in an hour or two. The Megajolt could take weeks depending on your level of expertise...

Can you not buy Mega jolt ready bult any more ? ( the option I took).

As blatman sez Megajolt is a far better solution and will result in better driveability, but does involve adding crank shaft and throttle postion sensors which take a bit longer -I fitted these parts and most of the electronics whilst the old ignition system was still in use, thereby reducing the cars "downtime".

lots on this forum about or search the net. 10/10 IMO

Interesting.  I guess there's more to 'go wrong' with megajolt too?  Where did you buy it fully built from and how much was it?  I'm pretty good with a soldering iron but probably not so good at fitting crankshaft and throttle sensors.  Is it a couple of weeks of 'few hours a week' or 'few hours a day'?

megajolt probably took me 2-3 nights to completely fit(4or5hrs a night)i spent about 2hrs on a lathe and drilling to get the trigger wheel fitted to the crankshaft pulley(i took my time at fitting the trigger wheel and then it was just a bolt on job)very good fitting instructions,cng1(trigger-wheels.com) on here is your man to get the setup from(just a tad over £200,there very reliable and once fitted and set up you can just forget,very small and tidy looking,as said above you dont need to take car of the road,just fit up the complete system(bit by bit if you want) and when your ready plug in a few conectors and all thats left is to remove your old system,hope this helps :t-up: johny

If you have a Pinto, Crossflow or a CVH, Weber Alpha make a *superb* trigger wheel and crank sensor mount package. It's so good, I'm going to use it on the Cossie. It's not cheap, but it fits perfectly first time. The first one I saw we had fitted and ready to go in about 30 minutes. I'm not Weber Alpha's biggest fan but the crank wheel and sensor stuff they do is top notch. It's also not cheap, but compared to the hassle of having to source and modify all the bits, it's good value for money.

Look at page 71 of the Weber Alpha catalogue. It's a PDF...

I bought my Megajolt unit for about £110 ready built from Bill - who no longer builds them ,but i'm sure someone else does.

I bought a trigger wheel ,EDIS module, coil pack and crank sensor from Ebay - about £70 the lot. Also a new set of plug leads from a Ka for about £20.

I have crossflow so mounting the trigger wheel was just a longer bolt through the crank pulley  (I painted the pulley and fitted the toothed wheel before the paint set -there is no chance of the timing slipping) and a  simple bracket to hold the crank sensor in place.

The throttle pot and adapter I bought (£25 -possibly Weber alpha??)).

It has been 100% reliable and driving in this morning I'm still very pleased at how smooth the car runs at low revs and small throttle openings (due to the mapping aspect) . Don't forget megajolt has programmable outputs so you can add a three stage shift light.

My Megajolt replaces a Lucas  Electronic distirbuter.

Have a look at my WWW page for some pictures.

Bought my megajolt unit ready-built from Martin Milner. Searching around the site will probably turn up his contact details, or I can dig them out when I get back from Spain later in the week.

There's a megajolt kit for sale in the parts for sale section on this site - see link:

Megajolt for Sale

Cheers

Rich

I tried writing a response to this twice earlier on the train and the flippin wifi kicked me off both times!

Am I right in thinking that the megajolt kit is a complete replacement for the existing coil/distributor at the moment?  I have a digital rev counter which current plugs into the + feed of the coil to take its reading - will I still be able to accomodate this with the megajolt system installed?

Will I have any problem installing the megajolt kit (I'm thinking crankshaft sensor) with the engine still in the vehicle?

Most importantly... is there anyone in or around Harrogate who'd be interested in helping me install it in exchange for beer/bbq/cash??  Looks like a great piece of kit but I've a feeling it may be a bit too complex for my ape-level experience alone...

The Weber Alpha kit can be installed with the engine in situ.

The Megajolt replaces the coil and distributor, although there may be options to run a dizzy by either replacing it with a Hall effect dizzy from an injected Pinto, or modifying the one you have.

I would expect the Megaspark to have a tacho feed as one of the inputs/outputs.

BUT... You haven't actually said what engine it's for yet...

If you just want to lose the points and condenser for an easy upgrade, then I highly reccommend the Lumenition Magmetronic system. It's ace. I had mine fitted and working in under an hour...

Megajolt is available fully built and ready to go so you don't have to get involved in that side of things, all you need to do is mount up the trigger wheel and crank sensor and wire everything in.

Whilst the lumenition gets rid of one of the weak points of the dizzy setup you're still left with a hybrid clockwork/electronic setup.  The megajolt meanwhile gives you complete control of everything.  We (www.trigger-wheels.com) stock all the megajolt bits - if you want to discuss that option drop an email to sales@trigger-wheels.com

I would imagine most people who go down the MJ route (me included) - Started off with not really having much of a clue as to what is going on - Have a good read as to what / why we need ignition advance to get a basic understanding as to why Megajolt is so much better than a distributor based system...It will really help.

You will need an EDIS4 module, and the ford coil pack and ihnition leads - all are plentiful, and cheap from either a scrapyard or ebay.......

The nice thing about Megajolt, is you can fit it while the car is still on the road - So, you can spend time doing each bit, and do the final conversion when you are ready, the forum 'autosportlabs' is fantastic.......Don't doubt yourself, with a bit of thought, anyone one can do it - and buy the end you will be armed with much more knowledge of how you car works :-)

....PJ....

The fitting while the car is on the road isnt such a problem since it's off the road at the moment anyway with starting trouble - i suspect that something to do with the ignition system may be the problem and even if it's not then fitting electronic ignition should be a worthwhile upgrade.

Where would you suggest I read about the ignition advance etc?  I had a good nose round the autosportlabs site and got a better idea of what's involved with the install but I didnt see anything about how the system actually improves things.

Lots of stuff from a google search - But, also, the dave walker book 'engine management' is a good read (It's a Haynes).........