1.6 CVH problems

RobK

Have a 1.6 Standard CVH engine, previous 1.8 CVH engine had severe damage (previous posts) so it was decided to buy a complete engine.

Engine has run great since install. Carbs are twin40s and were the ones fitted to the 1.8. Engine has developed a slight judder at idle so decided to check a few bit out yesterday.

Removed plugs to find Cyl No1 looks to have slight damage, looks weird, can they suffer from errosion or pitting? Or could it be heat damage or something loose in the cylinder  :suspect: . Not loads of damage but there are visible marks on the plug tip. Cylinders 3 and 4 look to be running slightly hotter on the exhaust valves (looking from the manifold).

Took the K & N filters off to balance the carbs and found a cork gasket on both carbs and 2 'O' ring seals only on the carb feeding Cylinders 3 and 4.

Carbs were out of balance but are now balanced and i have reset mixtures etc as per some tuning info off the net.

Questions.

1. Should i be worried about the Cyl No1 plug? Whats best thing to do??

2. Is it ok to run without the 'O' ring seals on Cyl 3 and 4?

3. Is it worth a strip down of the carbs to check the internals, is it likely will have have oversized jets as they were for a modified 1.8 (with a 1.6 head).

4.  :t-up:  :D

A pic of  the plug would be nice. Does it have impact damage as though something has hit it  -if so I would look further:

- not trying to worry you but I did have an Anglia where  a bit of the edge of piston crown came off and damaged the plug, so its worth a good hard look.   I'd do a compression test  - any material loose in the cylinder would  probably damage a valve seat on its way out and result in lower compression on that cylinder. If you can get an endoscope it would be worth a look down the plug hole.

Logic says the carbs will not be jetted correctly for the 1.6 (assuming they were for the 1.8)......

My guess would be you are running too rich......

As long as the cork and o rings seals are...sealing I would not be too worried about this as it should not effect the car.....

If it were me, I would do all the standard checks on the carbs....Remove all the jets / air correctors / emmulsion tubes, check they are all the same (by checking numbers and by measuring the jet holes), check float height adjustment, and start from scratch with the balancing and mixture....Get the basics right first, and go from there......

If you post up all your jet sizes / air corrector sizes, I can dig out my old 1.6cvh carb settings to compare....

Paul.

Thanks Paul...

All back together today ready for a coast blat tomorrow. Carbs have been balanced now so will check and adjust a little more in morning when raining as stopped! Looking to strip the carbs down in next few weeks so will post up my findings and to confirm the calculations i have made are correct for jet sizing etc.

Strange thing is cylinders 1 & 2 seem to be running about right (based on plugs) and cylinders 3 & 4 seem to be running lean. When it says the carbs should be numbered within 1 digit to be a matched pair which numbers does it mean? They are both stamped 151 are both DCOE but the other numbers are quite a distance apart. Is this relevant?

Many thanks  :t-up:

Rob