Tyre Choice

Scottish Bloke

I need some tyres for the Westy, currently running ACB 10's which I've run for the last two years in the SS.

Would like some input from anyone who has run the new Toyo 888SG compound, would be good if anyone had run both and could make a comparison.

There are obvious cost benefits, I know the 888 is quite a bit heavier, but weighed up against the £££ saving could still be tempted. I've run the old compound 888 and compared even to worn ACB10's weren't as good out the box from cold

Any opinions welcome please

Jocksport

The sg is softer than gg i used em last year and this but can't compare cos i wouldn'tpay acb10 money  ;)  ;) there are a few more using em this year i found em good  :D

Toyo 888's were pretty mediocre on my car in the dry & to be frank crap in the wet. These were not the soft compound tyres & they only lasted 60 miles before they were down to the canvas.

I rate Dunlop CR311 tyres as the best all round wet / dry grip. I note the X08 & X04 compounds are now Emarked so watch out for them being listed in the blue book for next year as a 1B tyre. Currently they are not. :)

Have a look at the May issue of Practical Performance Car which has a tyre test for track day tyres using a golf and a westfield as test vehicles. The results are quite interesting

H

Westfields have an issues with supply of toyo's at the mo, ordered mine a couple of weeks back for Gurston, hopfully they will arive tomorow  ???

There should not be any issue with tyre supplies for SS drivers for Toyo's if you are experiencing delays or problems then send me a PM or email with your full name, tel number and order requirements   ;)  :D  :)

Westfields have an issues with supply of toyo's at the mo, ordered mine a couple of weeks back for Gurston, hopfully they will arive tomorow  ???

tom  i got mine last week mate

mark aslo had problems getting tyres  took over 8days to get them [usual dangler up]

rich dont bother mate they are rubbish :D  :D

There should NOT be any delays in obtaining Toyo tyres - if anyone is having problems now or previously then send me PM or e-mail of details and it will be addressed - Thanks  :)

just used soft compound 888s on a track day and they grip like s**t to a blanket, well impressed  :t-up:  :t-up:

Used the GG compund on a couple of track days (wet & P***ing down) and found them OK

But a westy running 48's asked me where I was getting the grip from ???

Run SG compound for Gurston and once off the line :bangshead: they seemed a lot better than the GG's

I've never used acb10's and thats my excuse for not ever winning anything. :D

I've tried A032s in soft, A048's in medium and 888's in medium and would say A048's were the best, both the A048's and 888's are available in soft now which will make them softer than the A032's in soft ???  but I haven't tried them as I'm too tight. :down:

Its very difficult to do a proper back to back test as there are other factors which will affect it; how old they are, how they have been stored, how they have been run in etc....

kumho's  ???

Although "ACB10s are the 1B sprint tyre of choice" (quoting David in Motorsport at BMTR), as I go in the SDB/BARC Speed series where 1Bs are allowed but cross-plies are banned, the next best thing is required.

(IIRC there is also an issue with the softest compound in ACB10s not being available in 15").

I've have had mostly good experiences with the V70A in K20 compound  --  which, I notice, seems also to be the tyre of choice in the Ca**r*** sprint series (X-plies are also verboten). Oddly, whilst I find they're are great in the dry and not at all bad in the wet, I find them perfectly awful in the merely damp (slick)  --  but this could very well be a skill issue.

Only catch I've found is that, after three or four laps of a fast circuit on a hot dry day, the super-soft K20 goes off  --  ergo, sprint use only in summer.

But  --  not tried SGs yet.

HTH

P.S. Kumhos are about the same weight as 888s