1000 miles this weekend?

vt-marty

Did almost the exact same route on a road bike last year and got to 2mph shy of 60mph coming down from Cairn Leicht - dangler Bridge.  Always wanted to go back and drive those roads in the Westy but with my piddly little tank it would need some careful fuel planning as stations are few and far between.

I would take the Westy if i was you, 5 of us from the Lancs area had 3 days away last year through North England / Scotland and the weather sucked A*** but we all had a cracking time regardless!

As a former Westy owner (and an all weather cyclist and beach fisherman) I'd say:

Dump the carpet.

Get some good thermals, gloves and waterproofs

If you have a toneua (sp?) then use half of it to keep the passenger side dry. This also helps to keep you warm especially if you have a heater.

Use the side screens.

A full face helmet makes a difference.

Use the hood as a last resort but there is an alternative. It might be worth looking at softbitsforsevens (google them) who do half hoods which is a cover from the screen to the roll bar. Allows more ventilation than a full hood and some C****ham owning friends are really impressed with them..

If you're on your own or have a willing passenger then I'd say go for it but do take it easy in the wet. They can bite but if you drive with a smooth and sensitive right foot there is no reason why you can't enjoy the drive.  1000 miles won't do much more to the chassis.

I say go for it .

Alternatively sell the Westfield and buy a TVR.....     Taxi!

took the integra in the end. saturday drive up to the start point was terrible on teh m74...bits of aqua planeing going on and i wsnt pushing it.

saturday was a mix of no showers to heavy showers..

sunday was 'westy weather' :-(

still had a great time.

got a run in pass seat of my mates noble m400 down the glencoe road, 6 mins of incar footage too, just mental power that thing had.

sunday i woudl have had a drive of my mates cars, and rs4 and a tt quattro sport...but i had to leave before them, i had 8 hours drive to do, they were from aberdeen so they only had a couple of hours from inverness.

also the ferrari boys were good crack, a bunch of londoners with ferrari 430, maser gran sport, 997 turbo, 997 ?, lambo gallardo and a 996 gt2...got them passing my car with window down at some ridiculous speed.

nice to see them being driven properly even on snow lined roads.

pics to follow...