1000 miles this weekend?

vt-marty

i got my first westy in january form a guy on here.

its not missed a beat and ive just fitted the roof that he included in the sale.

i have a 600 mile trip round scotland via rallytrek.com booked this weekend. will be about 1000 all in by the time ive driven to/from teesside.

the only reason im considering not taking the westy is due to possible heavy rain.

the car is a '92 model and i have no reason to doubt the chassis condition or strength.

i will get round to repainting the odd part at the rear of the chassis where paint has disappeared.

do you thin it silly to use the westy when inclement weather is a high possibility?

or should i just 'go for it'!

advice please...

My decision would be based on the route.

If the majority would be motorways then I would say leave it at home.

However, if mainly A and B roads I would say go for it. But be warned you will be considerably more tired when driving there in the Westy  :t-up:

Don't expect to stay bone dry with the hood up either. Wear some waterproofs and have a cloth handy for the inside of the windscreen and you'll be more comfortable.

Kevin

Don't expect to stay bone dry with the hood up either. Wear some waterproofs and have a cloth handy for the inside of the windscreen and you'll be more comfortable.

Kevin

yeah your right, id still be suited for the bad weather. a windproof waterprrof top is perfect for the westy hood up or down,

i think i might just go for it.

That looks like an awesome route definately go for it and let us know how you get on  :t-up:

yep it reaqlly is great weekend drive. as i say i did it last year in a nice shiney new integra...now i got a westy i need to use it but the weather put me off.

mainly as my rear chassis area shows a bit of surface rust.

the 330 mile drive home from bournemouth in rain caused the car to take a week to dry - the carpet was the worst for staying damp.

i didnt want the car to come back from 100 wet miles and take another week to dry

am i being a wuss?

If your concerned about any areas of the Chassis that can't be re-painted/re-coated in time

You could always apply some Clear Waxoyl

(just done mine)

This can be removed with White spirit or Hot water when you have more time for painting/re-coating

Good Luck     :t-up:

If your concerned about any areas of the Chassis that can't be re-painted/re-coated in time

You could always apply some Clear Waxoyl

(just done mine)

This can be removed with White spirit or Hot water when you have more time for painting/re-coating

Good Luck     :t-up:

thats a good idea however im away at 7am on friday morning to the start in glasgow...

if its good weather i will just do it...

if its snowy and bad it will be the integra

That looks like an awesome route definately go for it and let us know how you get on  :t-up:

yep it reaqlly is great weekend drive. as i say i did it last year in a nice shiney new integra...now i got a westy i need to use it but the weather put me off.

mainly as my rear chassis area shows a bit of surface rust.

the 330 mile drive home from bournemouth in rain caused the car to take a week to dry - the carpet was the worst for staying damp.

i didnt want the car to come back from 100 wet miles and take another week to dry

am i being a wuss?

My carpets got drenched a couple of times, once or twice from being left outside under a 'waterproof cover' (now it lives in the garage  :D ).

And once from the thermostat housing breaking in half.  :arse:

As a result I've now permanently removed some of the carpets because short of removing the seats everytime I get a soaking the carpets seem to take forever to dry.

My advice; do the same and drill some drainage holes, at least it won't take so long to dry!  :D

aye to be honest the wettest part was the carpet under the seat....which will never be seen!

i might cut it off tonite and then it will dry easier like...

If the weather is really bad, you'll just end up driving slowly in the Westfield. Visibility with a full screen is a serious consideration 'cos you'll have water on both sides of it, roof or not...

And Westfields, even well set up Westfields, are known to bite hard on the a** of the unwary. If you are new to Westfields in particular, and RWD as well, I think I'd be less ambitious if the weather is any worse than slightly iffy... IMHO of course...

you will miss the best part of the route - turn off the A896 to applecross - thats the best driving road in britain - well the most scenic! wild road.. and when you get to kinlochewe go left instead - that IS THE BEST IN BRITAIN!!! period. if anyone else has done it they will know what i mean..

i would also stay off the A9 due to speed cameras i cut across from the east coast past fort augustus to then go back past loch lomond - M6 - then possibly down the A68

you will miss the best part of the route - turn off the A896 to applecross - thats the best driving road in britain - well the most scenic! wild road.. and when you get to kinlochewe go left instead - that IS THE BEST IN BRITAIN!!! period. if anyone else has done it they will know what i mean..

i would also stay off the A9 due to speed cameras i cut across from the east coast past fort augustus to then go back past loch lomond - M6 - then possibly down the A68

Yep agreed I've dun it,  :t-up: but not in the Westy   :(

But have you seen the weather forcast for this weekend, defo leave the Westy at home, you know it makes sense  :oops: