X-Flow Wont Start

minisweeper

Had my westfield up on ramps over winter to swap the radiator/coolant/oil and generally have a nosey round and I've been trying to get it started recently as the weather improves (until the snow, that is!) but it's having none of it.

Tried so far:

Changing Fuel

Changing Spark Plugs

Changing battery / jump starting

It had new leads and the carbs done last march and the starter motor reconditioned last august.  It seems to turn over but wont fire, but I do get some smoke out the exhaust.  Starting to run out of ideas and the limits of my technical know-how so I wonder if anyone has any pointers?  Could it be the mixture (and if so how do i find out?)?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minisweeper

• scott_prelit now westfield_bumble

• stussysoil

• blankczechbook

Presumably you have a spark at the plugs and fuel at the carbs ?

One thing we used to do when i was testing carby engines and throttle bodies forMG Rover was squirt fuel straight into the throttle bodies and try and start it, if it goes then it is probably a fuelling problem.

Also some plugs when drenched with fuel wont spark, a dry out in the kitchen oven may help !

Sorry i cant be anymore help ! :down:

Have you had the dizzy out as its possible to put it in 180degrees out. Also struggled to get mine started and the lumenition box had failed.

dizzy was out last year to have points done but i've not touched it since and it ran fine all summer.  lumenition boxes are only for electric ignition I think or am i wrong?

yep lumenition only for electronic ignition.  As said earlier r u gettin a spark. do you know how to check for one. (struggling to see all the wording just cracked me laptop screen  :mad:  :mad: )

I had a similar problem, I had put the plug leads on the wrong plugs, gave smoke out of the exhaust.

I was just not thinking at the time, lol

What's the easiest way of checking for a spark?  All advice seems to consist of putting the spark plug wire near something metal and checking for a spark between the two however my spark plug wires are all heavily sheathed so getting the metal contact near a metal surface is somewhat of a challenge.  I took a plug out an attached it to it's lead then cranked it and i did get a small spark against the engine block.  I'm not sure what to consider 'decent' though.

I took the fuel pipe off the carbs and I'm definitely getting fuel through it (at a fairly alarming rate but I assume when it's attached the carbs manage the amount of fuel they take in?)...is this a sufficient check or do i need to check if fuel is getting through the carbs (somehow?)

Checking points would be totally new to me (they were done last year by bogg bros) so I might need a few pointers there..

if its a side exit cap top left is 1 (1 being water pump end of engine)

Bottom left goes to 2

bottom right to 4

top right to 3

Centre to coil  :)

I use one of these to check for a spark:

eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">In-line spark tester

You can always borrow mine if you are near to York

scott - i went out earlier with full intentions of looking at that then it completely slipped my mind :|  I'll check it tomorrow.

stussysoil - i live just outside of harrogate so not too far from York depending which side you're on?  Sounds like a good offer though cheers - what engine do you run?

... a few drops of neat fuel into the carbs - or use starter spray down the bodies to see if it fires up..

...if so then a bit of carb spray to clean up the jets - works wonders!!!!