1st westfield drive

h4muf

Hi chaps

Picked up my westfield today from birmingham this afternoon and i must admit it was the second worst drive i`ve had in 15 years driving!

Went to clay cross at half 12 to pick a trailer up i`ve booked all week,trailer was out,waited till three o`clock,still no trailer so decided to abandon trailer and drive to brum and drive the westie back.

Four `oclock gets to brum,sorts out paperwork out and sets out.

Absolutely hammering down with rain!

No hood,could`nt see anything though my glasses,windscreen,total nightmare! she home now though,thank god.First ever westie drive too! Heres to nice weather,rant over!

Regards

lee.

I believe that this years "nice weather day" is booked for June 21st. Welcome

Put my name down then! :laugh:

I hope that's not a sign of things to come for you - but thank yourself lucky as normally your first drive in a westfiled leaves a very painful grin on your face for at least a week.

We'll chip together and buy you a rain hat, like pensioners going to bingo wear  :D

I once got caught out in a good downpour, but usually you just go quicker and get home.............. unfortunately I was behind a sodding cop car and had to sit there and trundle behind them. I'm sure they were laughing at me  :down:

Welcome  :t-up:

It was a bit wet and slippy on my first drive too so I know the feeling, exciting but nerve racking in between the bouts of whooping with delight but does anyone else have wipers that fly off when used?

I'm off to pick up my first Westy on Friday... I wonder how wet I will get???

Remember my first drive too.

Picked mine up on Nov 5th, 11  years ago - could see fireworks in the sky all the way up the M42, and it was a super crisp evening to drive home with the tonneau as the only weatherproofing. Got home perished cold.

Nearly didn't tho - decided to go thro Brum on the ring road and dropping down to 5 ways, had a lorry pull out which had been following a bus and he had stopped. The lorry never saw me and I had my first lesson that nobody thinks you are there when you are so low. Nearly wrote it off with less than 15 mls on the clock, but it stood on its nose and stopped safely !

That was so long ago and the fun is still there, but drive a little slower as you realise there are a lot of blind people driving around today.

Regards

BryanC

Ooh - forgot to mention a top tip.

Listen very carefully on how to put a hood frame up. Several months later, took the car back for a 'bolt-check' and then travelled directly to France on the overnight ferry.

I got caught on the Caen peripherique when the heavens opened and pulled off at a slip road to stop and put the weatherproofing up.

Its easy now, but couldn't work out how the hood frame worked and in the end zipped the tonneau up and sheltered for an hour or so in a lonely phone box. Arrived at Rennes university with water sloshing around the footwells and a tidemak half way up my overnight bag.

I'm not a wuss for having a hood, but there is a time and place ! ( including Le Mans last year ! )

Regards

BryanC

Welcome from another newbie.

My first drive was November last year, Kent to Bristol in the dark with drizzel most of the way. M25 playing lorry dodge was interesting first experience of Westfield ownership! ???

Thought I was taking it easy at 65 MPH as I had no roof and at 6'4" my head was well clear of the top of the windscreen(hat and balaclava). At the first services we stopped at my friend following in the tin top advised I had been sitting at about 80-85MPH. Better get the speedo calibrated especially as he is a copper and joint owner! :durr:

Enjoy the blasts around the country lanes even our little 1600 cvh is great fun.

We have booked a fun day at Castle Coombe to see how it goes and possibly Llandow. I am sure the speed bug will result in an engine upgrade, but enjoying the current one at the moment.

As wet as f**k .......... in my experience. To test "how wet" put all of your clothes on and stand in a cold shower for about fifteen minutes. When you are completely numb and water is running down your A*** crack and out of your trouser legs...... that'll be about as wet as you will get!

:D

As wet as f**k .......... in my experience. To test "how wet" put all of your clothes on and stand in a cold shower for about fifteen minutes. When you are completely numb and water is running down your A*** crack and out of your trouser legs...... that'll be about as wet as you will get!

<!--emo&:D

[Monty Python reference emoticon] "Luxury" :p  :D  :D , try the Shelsley commentary here