... and what happened today??

Rory's Dad

Got myself really organised - every document checked and double checked including 'certificate of newness' with chassis, engine and SVA numbers.  Took some photos of the chassis and engine numbers (although the latter was a bit difficult to read).  Paid the money.  Chap behind the desk congratulated me on the standard of documentation and then ...

... said "We'll be in touch about inspecting the car at our test centre in Rothwell.  You'll need to bring it on a trailer"

:mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

I felt reasonable about the SVA ... our build had been checked all over and endorsed as roadworthy but this is utter madness.  By way of an apology the bloke said "You wouldn't believe some of the applications we get!"

Rory's Dad

Very strange! When I did mine, nice lady at DVLA behind the counter said, "wait here for five minutes I 'll come round and have a look at the car". Waited, she came round, had a very quick look at the car, checked chassis/engine numbers, done. I have driven there with no plates or tax, but was insured. Only thing I did, was to use duck tape and spell SVA (instead of dvla) in place of the rear number plate. (I still got stopped...)

Don't understand this, all you have to do is to make an appointment with the local DVLA office and then you can drive it there. Inspection was a quick look to check the colour and engine number against application form.

I went to Peterborough, the guy processed all the paperwork there and then and gave me the reg number and paperwork for the number plates, couldn't have been simpler.

SVA, DVLA, number plates all in a day.

Steve

At Birmingham DVLA you have to trailer the car to them, its by Birmingham airport, 10 mile journey for me, cost me £100 to hire a trailer for the day :angry: took all of 5minutes to check the chassis and engine numbers, which was already done on the SVA. :angry:

It's nearly 3 years since I went through this process but it seems nothing has changed in terms of inconsistencies and two bl@@dy bits of government departments pi$$ing you about.

I have SVA on one day, taxed, registered and plated the next morning, no inspection by DVLA.

This hiring a trailer lark is a pain, there are enough of us about to lend one. Mine's always available to fellow Westy owners.

It used to be the norm to drive to the DVLA but now they are in the main making everyone have appointments to have inspections. The SVA is controlled by VOSA the registration is controlled by the DVLA, both operate independantly. When I took RobCs car to Bristol the guy there told me that VOSA were wanting to take over the control of the DVLA and have one system, this was being resisted.

The rules are SVA then apply then have an inspection at their leisure.

If you are annoyed now just wait until you trailer the car there just for them to lift the bonnet and look at a number on the engine and on the chassis, then put the bonnet back on. Took 2 mins at most. Don't be then surprised if they tell you they will let you know by post in a day or two.

Any that do it will you wait are being helpful, it is not the system that should now be followed I am lead to belive.

At Birmingham DVLA you have to trailer the car to them, its by Birmingham airport, 10 mile journey for me, cost me £100 to hire a trailer for the day :angry: took all of 5minutes to check the chassis and engine numbers, which was already done on the SVA.
SNAP  :angry:  :angry:  Portsmouth DVLA same you take the car by trailer to a separate VOSA site. Plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 weeks to wait for an appointment.

Rory's Dad, just remember the hard bit is over, just a little bit more patience and you can do what I did tonight  :p  :p  :p  left work on the dot and had time to get home and get an hours blatting in  :cool:

I took my car on wednesday and the lady said it was the third westfield this week.  She only checked the engine number and chassis number plus mileage.  It took a week for my appointment 5mins for inspection.

Once you had been inspected you will get your reg number and tax.  I am afraid you have to do what they say they are like the G------o

I have registered 3 cars at Bristol VRO with cert of newness all 3 done there and then with no inspection required. I just told them every time that as the car is brand new hence the cert of newness that an inspection is not required, every time they have agreed with me.

List of things I took as evidence.

Receipt for modules 1 - 6 with chassis and engine nos

Schedule of every single part ditto

MAC 1 ditto

Certificate of Newness ditto

Photo's of engine and chassis numbers

These wretched people talk about systems and consistency and the prove they have no system and no consistency between their various area offices as your posts above prove conclusively.

I'll get over it ... back to Jools Holland :)  :)  :)

Rory's pi$$ed off Dad :p  :p  :D

Registered my RAW striker a few years ago at worcester and was aloud to drive it there. About to register caterham there but they now say you must trailer car there and remove it from trailer for the 30 second inspection. Oh, and if you've got more than 12 miles on the clock we can't give you new reg!! :bangshead:

Ben

The guy at Leeds said provided I could explain the mileage (home to Beverley and back x 2) I would be OK for a new reg - hope I'll be OK.   ???  ???  ???

Rory's Dada

Yeah, worcester used to be fine with that. But a friend registered his car there last week and had a whole load of hassle over just 26 miles on the clock!!

When SVA'd & registered mine (July 05) at Nottingham they were fine about it, no hassle at all. Passed SVA in the morning, back home collect paperwork from home, drive to Westfield for certificate of newness, back to DVLA at Nottingham, registerd and on the road by 6pm. No inspection required.

As with the SVA, registering it seems to have no fixed procedure, it all depends on who you get on the day.

John