Indicator / Lights / Horn Stalk

FW500

Ah, reading back, he was using the standard wheel boss, it's nearly ten years now since I had one, but I'm sure I remember it having a projecting sort of tab sticking out of the back of the boss, parallel to the column. This would flick that switch you can see in one of the close ups, to cancel the indicators.

Hi Gadgetman,

I think I have the old boss and wheel (IVA purposes :) ) but I still cannot see anything projecting off. I'll knock something up on the lathe at the evening course I'm doing - maybe nylon so it wears out rather than the switch tab. I'll run a couple off at the same time as spares.

I'll have to trawl the net for a picture of the standard clio "tab" for something to copy.

Ta

Geofff

:)

I have the same set-up but no self cancelling. I'd be interested in how and if you succeed...

• 3 weeks later...

Okay here goes.....spoke to the instructor on the evening course and he reckons the "plastic" which the switch is made out of is very hard wearing and an aluminium cam made to fit around the sterring column will be fine, picture here:

20140403_201050.jpg

Internal diameter 20mm, external diameter 27mm one inch long and a 7mm cut out to form the cam. I rounded of the edges of the sides of the cam to minimise wear on the plastic just in case. I'll put a couple of 5mm grub screws into the sides to hold it to the column at my next evening course lesson.

You can also see I've raised the steering column to get the switch tab in the middle vertically speaking. I'll knock up a better spacer than the old bolts I've used here temporarily.

In this picture with the boss on:

20140403_201229.jpg

I also had to file 1mm from the boss to make it all fit.If I was doing it again I think I would make the cam fit over and locate on the boss rather than the column but I'll be changing my boss and steering wheel after I pass IVA.

Ta

Geofff

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

The final dimensions I settled on for the cam were:

20.1mm ID for the steering column

30.4mm OD

25mm length

cam cutout was 12mm wide by 6mm deep

The greater overall depth provided by the 30.4mm OD makes it a lot less sensitive to a less than perfect position of the switch itself.

Ta

Geofff

Excellent. Any chance you are able to make up more of the cams....  ;)  :cool:

Hi Andy,

i have my original "sensitive" one I could send ASAP if you want to PM me your address. Otherwise I have a rather long list of stuff to knock up and only five lessons left after half term next week. I'll add it to my list but I cannot guarantee I'll get there :(

Ta

Geofff

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi All, plse forgive any gaffes, first post....

In the process of fitting stalk controls to my factory built westy.

All sorted, switch cover made, hole in dashboard, wiring looms sorted ready to fit, then a horrible thought....

I have measured 16 amps to the headlights ( both beams)

This is at steady state, inrush currect and inductive volts on switch off, i cannot measure.

How many amps will these stalk switches handle?

Does anybody know?

Or is it assumed that everybody fits <15 amp relays with the stalks?

Regards to all

So few actually fit stalks, there's probably not that much experience of them to share...

Personally, I'd have said your safest bet would be to fit relays, then you could forget about it. Otherwise, you're likely to always have a niggling worry about them.