2 or mor major components,could someone explain ?

ITALIAN JOB

Hi, i'm just getting to the stage where i can start to think about doing something i've been day dreaming about for a long time...building a Westfield.

I have looked everywhere for info and think i understand how to get a new registration,basically all new components(with receipts) and one professionally reconditioned component(again with receipt)

If i wanted to get an age related plate i need two major components from my donor vehicle with the enging and box being an or rather than and.Is this right?

What are major components defined as?

Could i buy an old sierra with a pinto,then buy a zetec engine and send the log book off to correctly show a change of engine then when i finish my build i will have used the engine and diff from the donor hence an age related plate?

Or am i missing something obvious,is my brilliant plan flawed :D

Sorry for long winded first post,cheers Paul.

From my understanding there is no hard and fast rule. As you say it allows for two units from the doner vehicle being used to facilitate an age related plate. Now most would go for the engine and box, and some have done exactly as you have described and got away with it. Others have tried the same process and have ended up with a "Q" plate. Wether or not the diff would be allowed a constituting a major component, again it is hit and miss. A rear axle does apparently but I suspect just the diff will not.

Don't be put off by a "Q" though it has some advantages come MOT time and the car never ages.

There does seem to be some confusion over the rules as to whether you get an age related plate or Q plate.

Although I didn't build my car, the guy who did, managed to get it registered with an age related plate based on the Sierra doner....... although only the diff and gearbox came from it.....  :oops:

Don't know if you can still do this but when I built my Cobra I had the log book from the Jag for the axles then whilst I was building it I sent the log book off to say I had changed the engine in the jag to the one I was going to be using in the Cobra (427cui V8 and Tremec gearbox). Then when I came to register it I had the axles and drivetrain from the original Jag so I could keep the plate.

This was pre SVA and registration was done on a points system so has probably changed.

The local DVLA to me are very hot on this (Peterborough).  Someone who was in the office before me left very disappointed with a Q plate having gone through all the trouble of notifying the DVLA of an engine swap to his donor Sierra.  The DVLA chap took one look at the Zetec engine and basically said you're having a laugh, here's your Q plate.

As for a bike engine, I would hazard a guess that you would definately be up for a Q plate (unless it was new) as the engine is from a bike but used in a car, but I stand to be corrected.