Best N/A eninge is.....?

The Seer

1600 zetec se - revs to 9K cams and a bit of head work will give 210BHP weighs about 95 KG

Base engine from a breakers about 100 notes or about 500 reconned from ShawSpeed nuff said  :D

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• perksy

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• stu999

I can't speak for other engines, but I do know that the "standard" duratec (ie as fitted to a Westfield, in other words light flywheel, tapered throttle bodies and decent ecu, along with Westfield manifold and exhaust) has about 200bhp claimed, at the flywheel, but more to the point, if you wanted to it will pull cleanly from 1750 rpm on full throttle. The result is, not only is it bl**dy quick, but it is pleasant to drive in heavy traffic (when you have to) as well.

How the vx XE compares I do not know. It is quite a bit heavier than the duratec however.

Whichever engine it is, 200bhp in a Westie is surely more power than anyone could really make use of on the highway. How I shall handle it on track remains to be seen, as I don't get mine until March, but I think I shall be trating it with a lot of respect for a very long time to come!

stephenH.

Sometimes all this 'do you really need xxx Bhp' comes across really patronising. Just because someone isn't a lifelong owner of a Westfield doesn't mean to say he doesn't know what sort of power he's going to want in one when he gets one. IMO a 210 - 220Bhp NA XE in a car of this ilk would make a really really nice car to drive.

No one says it will not make a really nice car.

However how do you know what 200bhp is going to feel like, Surely it is how it is delivered, and how transmitted to the road and what it has to carry that makes all the difference.

What is faster, 150bhp in a 1.8zetec, or in 3.5l of V8? The 150bhp bit is b*****ks, it is the power delivery, transmission and the weight of the car that all add up to give you the feeling, be it 150, 200, or 3000bhp.

Patronising or not, my point is valid. I help perhaps 6-7 people a year choose a car, getting the right car is the important part. Threads like this just perpetuate the myth that you need a s**t load of bhp just to get it out of the garage.

Please do not P**s £11k away based on "I need 200+bhp" you do not, you just need the right car for you, be that 175bhp or 250bhp.

Mark has just purchased a uprated 1.8 Zetec BTW...... ???

Chaz.

"Alledged"

Evening Chap, smashed any more busses up today?

As stated in my previous thread I've decided to opt for a CEC (Car engined car) with an N/A engine. Circa 210-220 h.p.

I'm thinking along the lines of an XE powered car.

Though is this the better engine to choose out of the other N/A engines available?

:blush:  :D

You right I did not read the first post of the thread. Someone mentioned V8 and got my attention! Anyway the RST-V8 is derived from two bike engines but surely its deserves to be called a car engine now especially as it wont fit the bike anymore. Frankly I do not care what it is classified as it is still remarkable.

If you go to autosport next week you will see the new incarnation of the RST fitted with a supercharger and 550bhp

You going to Autosport, what day?

A few years ago I would have said no to a zetec. Compared to the caps anchor (Pinto), on track they never seemed to be particularly quick until we came across the car I eventually bought fitted with a dunnel zetec. Changed my mind on them ever since. Gearbox probably makes more of a difference mind.

If I had oodles of money, it would have to be a V8 though! :love:

Nah the engine was great with a standard box , but whats fitted is a bgh heavy duty one as the torque ate the standar box eventually.

And tbh thats more the point ,its not just the BHP , its the BHP and torque combined ,and matched to a box making best use of the revs available.

I hate the honda hi reving engines for that very point as they don't feel as strong and nice to drive dispite producing the power , in the road civics a nice powerful diesel engine will often see a following type R driver grabbing for gears , but then if this was the case it would be V8 every time ,but the weight kills them a little on track .

so bhp per ton for the car with decent torque is what you want ......... but then what if it handles like a sack of spuds in a shopping trolley ?

so its a combination of many many factors that as mark said earlier have to suit your driving style.

How the vx XE compares I do not know. It is quite a bit heavier than the duratec however

:devil: Is it?  ???  :D

Yes, according to a table of relative engine weights I read recently, although I cannot now put my hands on it. From memory, the 2.0 Duretec is about 25 or 30 kgs lighter than a VX XE 2.0. It is also 18kg lighter than a Zetec according to a website I have just looked at, but that was only about Ford engines fitted to Mondeos and Focus.

I love my Cossie...the torque, driveability and of course the sound it makes too :t-up:  :t-up:

the 2.0 Duretec is about 25 or 30 kgs lighter than a VX XE 2.0

Really   ???  

and more expensive aswell    ;)

Duratec Weight's - Clicky

If Hurdsey's watching - how about comparing your Zetec whilst its out - I'll bring my scales for a fair comparison !!

Anyone got the honest weight of a STANDARD VX in similar fashion / dismantled state  ???

As for the original question about which engine - there all good but chassis set up and the correct gear box and diff ratio are more important to extract best of any engine. In the past I've had a standard Zetec and pitched it against a standard VX and there was nothing at all between them.

My Currect Duratec is totally different but this is malos down to a massive difference in weight of the whole car and better gearing (Gear box and Diff) along with better brakes etc and a professional suspension set up - if your going for one of the 16v engines then these are the things to look out for when choosing a car.

If you go to autosport next week you will see the new incarnation of the RST fitted with a supercharger and 550bhp

You going to Autosport, what day?

Friday mate are you going?