Best N/A eninge is.....?

The Seer

Seriously, does a stock XE make 200bhp and at how much ???  :xmas:

Yes, and it can be done VERY cheaply if you really want. In fact the FWD TOTB winners in 2006 ran a fairly standard XE with just a huge amount of nitrous chucked through it.

Clicky

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• perksy

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• stu999

So the XE it is then.

These will take a fair amount of abuse and don't require top or bottom end rebuilds with a 210-220 h.p. level of tune?

There's some very good info' on States of Tune and History of the VX on SBD's website  HERE

HTH     :t-up:

Thanks for the info. :)

I'd briefly looked at their web site a few months back since they seem very familiar with the XE engine.

Not really planning on form of tuning myself as buying a car in a certain state of tune would better for the budget.

Will an XE with 210-220 h.p. require a re-fresh every so often?

If so at what amount of miles does this usually occur and at what cost?

An inherent faults to be wary of?

Thanks. :)

At 200 ish bhp a Vx will not need to have the b*****ks revved out of it so if the engine was good to start with refreshing it should not be too much of a problem. My Zetec car has 210bhp and that has been done for five years. The engine was good when I fitted it to the car in 1998 as it was only 12 months old.

My Vx is another matter that is in a highish state of tune and spends most of it life between 6000 to 8500rpm and it must perform well so that is being refreshed after 16 events about two years for me. You can see that it needed to keep reliable.

Texas BBQ are my favourite  :D  :D although very closely followed a Sensations Sweet Chilli  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :blush:  :D

:D Sour cream & onion  :D  :D  :D

Ive driven a 220bhp vx and zetec and personally prefer the zetec ,  for big power 250+ i would favour the vx,but  If I was building from scratch for a n/a engine  i would defo be building a durapop .

one of the main reasons for this is Ive seen a lot of big powered cars for sale and the vx ones seem to take a bit of shifting where as people seem to accept and will pay  the higher prices if they have a duratec fitted  :suspect:  :suspect:  ???  ???  :durr:

and as for v8s  :oops:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :p  :p

It's not just about the engine; you need to think about it's weight and where that weight is.

When you look at the cars look where the engine is mounted; generally further back is prefferable.

All the 'modern' multi valve engines will produce more than enough power at a 'reliable' rate of tune.

Well i've had my lunch, so i'll just wade in and get my soap box.

This si not aimed specificly at you Mr Steer, but to the many that will read this type of thread thinking that they too need 2,000,000,000bhp just to pull away from the lights.

Why for your first car do you want 200-210bhp? It is the package that is important, you are purchasing a car, not an engine.

As Nikpro above says, weight and where it is placed are as important, more so in my book, than just bhp. Likewise how that bhp is delivered will be important. Lastly the rest of the components also need to be up to the job. A type 9 box will be getting close to it's abilities....sure many have got a std box to last longer and will post up saying as much, mainly as they are driven pretty easily (sympathetic swappijng of cogs etc), but 200bhp and 7500rpm was more than Ford had in mind when making it. My Quaife one is not, and that uses the best bits from ford.

Perhaps the most obvious question is how will you know it has 200+bhp? You could come and drive mine, i could tell you it has 208bhp show you a mocked up graph.....but how do you know. Will you like it, afterall it is built for me?

Serioulsly, and i'll give you the benefit of the doubt here as I do not know you, please ask yourself first what do you really want the car to do, what will you really use it for and what do you think will put a smile on your face? Everyone says Sunday drives/blats and the odd track day, but what they really mean is I want to try a track day and really I just want a bit of fun. Well 200bhp and all the cost that goes with this, is not needed for any of that.

The Cambs area has many cars, mine would be at the lower end of that power stakes, but when we go out blatting as a bunch I can assure you that I have no issues staying in touch and that included less powerful cars than mine, in fact I do not remember dropping anyone.

Well i've had my lunch, so i'll just wade in and get my soap box.

Mark's comments are so b****y true!

I think of the number of horsepower thing in the same vain as how many potatoes you can get in a sack!  200......... 300?

Horsepower is b*****ks!  The question you need to ask yourself is......... how does the car feel to drive and, most importantly, can you drive at the car’s full potential.

There are people out there with mega BHP and do not have the first clue as to how to drive consistently fast.

Nobody's mentioned a V8 yet     ???

don't need mentioning you all know it's the best, it's just that so many of you are in denial  :laugh:

Nobody's mentioned a V8 yet     ???

don't need mentioning you all know it's the best, it's just that so many of you are in denial  :laugh:

Oh so true as I was going for one time ago.  But a 4 cylinder with forced fed is fun as well.

I put a V8 and my car on the same(ish) level.

Fast!   :D    :D

A few years ago I would have said no to a zetec. Compared to the caps anchor (Pinto), on track they never seemed to be particularly quick until we came across the car I eventually bought fitted with a dunnel zetec. Changed my mind on them ever since. Gearbox probably makes more of a difference mind.

If I had oodles of money, it would have to be a V8 though! :love: