• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• perksy

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• stu999

If I was starting from scratch it would be a 2.3 Duratec. Should be around 200-210bhp on throttle bodies with out b*******ing around with the oily bits. With deep pockets they are getting 300bhp and I can see 330bhp on the cards one day. The Duratec is a good bit lighter than a Vx so the car should handle better. To be honest Duratec Vx Zetec YB will all get to 210-220 bhp without to much hard work. I have a Zetec and a Vx so not biased when I say Duratec. My Zetec car is making 210bhp and the Vx a good bit more.

Seriously, does a stock XE make 200bhp and at how much ???  :xmas:

My XE, although fully rebuilt was done so to standard spec (albiet with a small rebore and head skim). Running on TB's it showed 194bhp on the rollers.

With even a warm set of cams and retaining the standard pistons etc it would top 200...  :t-up:

Seriously, does a stock XE make 200bhp and at how much ???  :xmas:

Nope

With a Good exhaust system (incl Manifold) and TB's/Decent choked Webers they can make just over 200

Think once the cost/s of the Duratech start to come down it will be used alot more

and We'll start to see more Duratech engined Westy's for sale...

With a Good exhaust system (incl Manifold) and TB's/Decent choked Webers they can make just over 200

It's amazing what a lump of old iron designed in the 70's can do :p  :laugh:  :cool:  ;)  :t-up:

It's amazing what a lump of old iron designed in the 70's can do :p  :laugh:  :cool:  ;)  :t-up:

:D

Seems to do just fine for Smithy, Ash & Richard

Carroll plus others...    :cool:

My xe made 165 at wheels which i guess would be up towards 200 at flywheel.

Apart from mild fast roads kent cams its standard and running on 45`s (dellorto) with an 8v ignition (basic) system it got loads of torque sound great and i love it. They are so easy to get hold of these days in bits or complete and the upgraditis is kicking in so may go tb`s etc this year after the BGH box goes in. Getting 5 seconds to 60 (gps tested) was a real buzz.....

go on go vx you`ll love it......... :love:

fogot to mention the SBD bonnet exit exhaust sytem

I don't know all you CEC boys chasing BHP figures for pub talk!  :devil:

My BEC makes 115 BHP but I love it  :p

On a serious note it is a buyers market and so really you have a great opportunity to drive the different engines and see which delivers the power the best to your style of driving.

If you are chasing BHP then look no further than a V8 they have bags of the stuff but a completely different power delivery. Like I say great time to buy so look at as many as you can and remember to buy with your head not your heart (first one you see) and you won't go far wrong at all. :t-up:

Thanks to all for your replies so far. :)

This might offend a few but as much I repsect and love V 8 engines I don't like the idea of such a large lump of metal sitting up front. Four pot engines must carry more speed through the corners?

Yeah I reckon the duratech must be the way forward but budget will probably not allow.

So the XE it is then.

These will take a fair amount of abuse and don't require top or bottom end rebuilds with a 210-220 h.p. level of tune?

So the XE it is then.

These will take a fair amount of abuse and don't require top or bottom end rebuilds with a 210-220 h.p. level of tune?

There's some very good info' on States of Tune and History of the VX on SBD's website  HERE

HTH     :t-up: