1600i won't start

Rory's Dad

As above  :blush:  :blush:

There is obviously a problem on the ignition side.  One of the lights attached to the Webcon loom is flashing.  1,2 wait, 1,2,3 wait, 1,2,3,4 wait, 1,2,3,4,5 wait.  :(  :(  :(

Obviously trying to tell me something - but what  ???  ???

Rory's Dad

Not more problems !!  :p

I would first check ALL the connections to the engine and ECU, also the power to the fuses that are related to the engine.

Silly questions but you do have enough fuel in it and is the fuel pump and filter in the line the correct way round? (They do have an "in" and "out").

Crank sensor is a favourite.

Does it try and start or just keep cranking with no hint of firing ?

Has the inertia switch set being triggered ? If it has it will cut the fuel.

Injector plugs on the correct injectors?

Mine took absoloutely ages to start, so long that i started looking for stuff that was incorrectly fitted, wired etc. Eventually just kept cranking it and it started. They do take a while and it will run and stop if you dont keep the revs up until its warm.

How long have you tried to start it for in terms of cranking time ?

Thanks for the link Melt.  :)  :)  :)

The Duratec manual is very similar to the 1600i (IIRC) but gives no clue to any fault codes

Sam-Kit car dreams - I'll just keep checking everything - worked on (most of) the dash problems - especially with Rory's keen eyes to help  :)  :)  :cool:

Everything seems to be the right way round and it has a £5's worth of fuel in it  ;)  ;)  ;)

The starter cranks away enthusiastically but absolutely no sign of ignition  :(  :(  :(

Rory's Dad

Next step:

Have you given it a fair bit of throttle while trying to start it?

You need to see if you have a spark, take out one of the plugs, stick the plug back in the lead and stick it near the engine block and see if you have a spark when cranking, dont hold it as you will get a little p****r.

Does the fuel pump "prime" when you put the ignition on?

Erm I think you need to have the body of the plug connected to the engine block !

I use a monkey wrench with insulated handles , grip the plug by the body ( take care not to damage the threads ) and hold the wrench against the block .

can use rubber gloves instead for insulation  :t-up:

Erm I think you need to have the body of the plug connected to the engine block !

I use a monkey wrench with insulated handles , grip the plug by the body ( take care not to damage the threads ) and hold the wrench against the block .

I did mean hold it against the block, hurried typing as the weather is nice and i am outside building my own Westfield!  :t-up:

I did mean hold it against the block, hurried typing as the weather is nice and i am outside building my own Westfield!  :t-up:

Yea ! I was just being pedantic   :t-up:

This may help you. Had a similar problem with my Sigma 1600 engine (Emerald ECU, though). Cranked and cranked and wouldn't fire up. Eventually (about 1 time in 50) it would catch and then idle perfectly and run fine.

Turned out to be crank sensor wires wrong way round - the engine will run with them the wrong way round, but the ECU can't see rotation. Try inverting them - it can't harm the ECU.

There is obviously a problem on the ignition side.  One of the lights attached to the Webcon loom is flashing.  1,2 wait, 1,2,3 wait, 1,2,3,4 wait, 1,2,3,4,5 wait.  :(  :(  :(

Obviously trying to tell me something - but what  ???  ???

Spoke to Westfield this morning.  The above is a general fault code and can be reset (and the manual will tell me how  :blush:  :blush: )

Mark said I ought to check the flow and return are the right way round.

Plenty to be getting on with  :)  :)  :)

Rory's Dad