£5500 to spend on a Westfield.

Uncle Fester

A few questions from a newbie.

I am selling my bike and looking at buying a Westfield.

With a budget of approx £5500 what are the things that are 'must haves' and what are 'nice to haves'??

Is is better to hang out for a 2.0 Vauhall unit or stick with a 1.7 X flow?

Assuming general weekend thrashes and some track day stuff, is a 4 speed box one too few, or a reasonable compromise?

Having owned RWD cars in the past, can I expect the handling to be progressive on the limit, or grip, grip and then straight into a hedge kind of stuff?!

I think that's enough questions for my first post

Cheers

With a budget of approx £5500 what are the things that are 'must haves' and what are 'nice to haves'??

Must = straight chassis plus all the normal things that you'd look for in a car purchase. Nice = 300bhp, widetrack, full cage, sub 400kg, quick steering rack, brakes that stop on a sixpence, ...you get the picture...

Is is better to hang out for a 2.0 Vauhall unit or stick with a 1.7 X flow?

Buy cheap at 1st*, have fun, learn, then buy what you want.

*Course, that's what we all do :D  :D

Assuming general weekend thrashes and some track day stuff, is a 4 speed box one too few, or a reasonable compromise?

4 gears is one gear less heavy than 5 gears or one gear too short depending on your POV (I have 4).

Having owned RWD cars in the past, can I expect the handling to be progressive on the limit, or grip, grip and then straight into a hedge kind of stuff?!

Depends more on geometry, tyres, throttle response...and most importantly, the muscle between the ears.

Welcome to the pleasuredrome. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Welcome :t-up:

Where do you think you will have the biggest hoot - road or track?

As must-haves go, most is personal preference, or driven by what you want to do with the car (see above).

The xflow is a cracking motor, but generally will never be a match for a more modern 16v unit in terms of power or reliability. However, you will be struggling to find 16v units in Westfields for the kind of money you currently have burning a hole in your pocket :(

The handling can (and does) vary from car to car too. You can pretty much make the car handle exactly how you want it to - there are so many things to play with, it will keep you amused for hours :D

Welcome    

Would be worth you contacting your local A O and going to a club night for a chat and sit in a few cars

They'll answer your questions and i'm sure you'll get a couple of passenger rides aswell      :cool:

As for Budget, For your budget your in Pinto, Crossflow, CVH Territory

All proven engineering    

OR hold fire, save a bit more and then start looking at 16 Valve cars

HTH