Zetec VX V8

wildwesty

hello,

having sold my Pinto SE westy for an elise 2 years ago ive decided to return to the fold.

Ive sold my elise and will soon be looking for an SEIW, but cant decide on which engine.

VX

Zetec

V8

could you give me some guidence as to the pro's & con's of each engine?

I dont want to bec, i realise that the V8 option would be at the top end of my budget and the bottom end of the scale for a decent one where as going VX or zetec would get me a tidy car and hopfully a powerful & reliable engine.

Use would be weekends and dry (3k a year)

I would like to do my own engine work on the car if it goes wrong but not at great expence.

I would like to tinker & maybe upgrade little bits in the future again on a low budget after the initial purchase.

Just an idea of what to look out for or expect with each option.

ta

WW

A Zetec & VX are great cars but a V8 is an AWESOME car not that I'm biased you understand  ;)  :p

Good decision on not havin a BEC there for girls  :laugh:

A Zetec & VX are great cars but a V8 is an AWESOME car not that I'm biased you understand  ;)  :p

Good decision on not havin a BEC there for girls  :laugh:

you got in quick the Barry  :D  :D  :D

you forgot to mention that a tartan rug is compulsary for V8 cars  ;)  :oops:  :D

Welcome back Wildwesty,

I'm no expert on anything really but my 2p worth as I've seen it is:

V8

For: Excellent torque, great power, lovely sound and puts a smile on your face everytime.

Against: Pricewise, expensive to uprgade as there is 2x everything being V8

VX

For: Great power off the shelf, strong engines, cheaper than a Zetec to get up to 200bhp, loads of upgrades available

Against: Heavy engines

Zetec

For: Good power, plenty available, Ford prices for servicing. Plenty of upgrades available.

Against: Slightly dearer to get 200bhp but not much in it.

Duratec You forgot this one!

For: Great power, loads of upgrades, Strong Modern engines and light being all alloy.

Agaist: b****y expensive

I'm sure there will be some other comments but that's my view

Tigger

Do you intend to do many trackdays - or is it for road use/polishing?

Whilst a V8 may be awesome, put a few bends in the track, and any power advantage they may of had will be quickly eroded...

Yeah but Persky, your heavily biased, I'm starting to think you WORK for Vauxhall's :D

Perksy has also sampled both VX and Zetec though Tiggs... ;)  :D

True, True. Probably more of an authority on comparing them then. I still think he works for Vauxhall though :p

Thank you all for your comments.

The car may see a track once a year, but it would mainly be for weekends & polishing.

Your comments Trigger are exactly what i am after, though the V8 would be nice, my price range is around 8K so i will be sniffing around the bottom of the pile, where as i could pick up a nice zetec or vx for that ££.

I spent a lot of time fixing the pinto i had and thou it was enjoyable i have liked the reliability of the elise ive sold and would like an engine that is reliable yet cheap to fettle with.

I think from all your comments it may be reasonable to say that either engine would be good and to select either a zetec or vx based on the build as both are comparable. what do you think?

Spot on. £8k won't get you a V8 worth having unless you're very very lucky.

Fag paper between VX and Zetec so just buy the best you can find.

· Posted on Aug. 16 2007,20:46

Do you intend to do many trackdays - or is it for road use/polishing?

Whilst a V8 may be awesome, put a few bends in the track, and any power advantage they may of had will be quickly eroded...

I've never had problems with bends as the V8 is sorted . Oh and don't forget Mark Minshaw won the the Speed series class B Championship a few years a go in a chubby V8 with a lot stiff competition. I'm also sure John Fish would put you in your place as well.I do love those gems about V8's and corners they do make me giggle! You track day boys sure are a laugh ;)

Buzz

I've never had problems with bends as the V8 is sorted . Oh and don't forget Mark Minshaw won the the Speed series class B Championship a few years a go in a chubby V8 with a lot stiff competition. I'm also sure John Fish would put you in your place as well.I do love those gems about V8's and corners they do make me giggle! You track day boys sure are a laugh ;)

Buzz

What about little old me :oops: