1600i

Rory's Dad

1600i has been out for nearly 2 years now and I don't think  :durr: that I've seen anyone posting on here about build issues.

Am we the only ones?? ... or does no one else get 'stuck'??

We started the build in April and due to difficulties e-mailing or telephoning Westfield I have actually gone to the factory and stayed till I'm all sorted  :D  :D  :D  

Could do with a build buddy sometimes :down:  :down: for those times when the manual is completely unintelligible.

Rory's Dad

Blimey this p***-awful weather must be getting to me  :p  :p  :D

I have got one about 95% finished, what do you need to know ?

I was hoping to say nothing seeing as I called in at the factrory on Thursday ...  

However, I've worked through their solutions, only to find more problems ...  :(  :(

1)  I can only find the male spade end connector for the temp sensor that goes in the ali tube at the back of the engine.  The 1600i supplement says "The earth connector is a ring terminal that should be placed over the sender, so that when screwed home it is clamped against the pipe"  ???  ???

2) I can't find the 5mm ring terminal that needs to be attached to the chassis near the tunnel opening on the right (driver's) side

And yes and I've looked for them everywhere  :D  :D

Also I've not got a heater and there's nowhere obvious to provide support for the pipe that doubles back around the back of the engine is fixed to the inlet under the inlet manifold (C to B in the supplement).  Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Rory's Dad

Hi, You need a "live" and an earth for the sensor, the spade connector goes on the top of the sensor on the little "tit". The earth needs to be put on before you screw the sensor into the pipe.

IE the earth ring connector is held onto the pipe by the sensor itself.

Cooantsensorwiring.jpg

The small coolant pipe i have held using "P" clips and drilled out the rivets on the chassis upper cross member over the top of the tunnel.

The larger pipe i dont think i have yet found a way to secure it anywhere apart from cable ties !! The car is in a relatives garage at the moment and i havent done anything to it since January so a lot of stuff i have forgotten !!

Thanks guys.  Have spoken to Mark this morning (got straight through :D  :D ) and he said just make up the earth for the sensor.  The other eyelet is an earth for the oil pressure sensor "but it doesn't really need one"

Whether these connections were ever part of the loom remains a mystery ???  ???

Sam-Kit car dreams - yours look as though they were or are you just a neat auto-electrician  ???  ???

Rory's Dad

Thanks guys.  Have spoken to Mark this morning (got straight through :D  :D ) and he said just make up the earth for the sensor.  The other eyelet is an earth for the oil pressure sensor "but it doesn't really need one"

Whether these connections were ever part of the loom remains a mystery ???  ???

Sam-Kit car dreams - yours look as though they were or are you just a neat auto-electrician  ???  ???

Rory's Dad

Hi Rorys dad,

I actually cheated with that picture, its one of the car at the factory !! However, i try and be as neat as i can when doing the electrics ! ;)  I have made several brackets to hold the plugs that connect the engine harness to the vehicle harness etc.

The main harness wiring went from this

DSC09353.jpg

To this:

DSC09519.jpg

Always pays to pay a bit of extra attention to the nitty gritty bits.

They're gonna get real hot sitting on that  plate by the exhaust  ;)  ;)  ;)  :)

They're gonna get real hot sitting on that  plate by the exhaust  ;)  ;)  ;)  :)

Hi Mark,

That thought did cross my mind aswell but the factory plugs are cable tied to the diagonal chassis rail that my bracket is attached to. Might have to get a few temperature tabs from work and have a measure !

May have to use a bit of "heat shielding" and wrap them up a bit !   :)

I think the plastic on the exhaust will melt.  :p  :p  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D

I thought you had to leave that on to stop the water marking the exhaust system !!  :D

Ive got a factory built 1600i (built in Feb) if you are in my area (Cannock) you are welcome to come and have a good look at mine if it helps

Thanks Andy and everyone else :)  :)

Engine bay 'finished' - bodywork on by the end of the week  :D

Rory's Dad