2lt Zetec Engine

Brum

Not sure if this is the right section but.....I have been looking for something to occupy myself in the wet summer evenings and, looking further ahead, a winter project. I've been searching for a pre 1995 2lt Zetec engine but there doesn't seem many about.

Managed to find one from 1995 with DOHC on cam cover as opposed to Zetec..what is the difference or is a completely different engine...?

Any known problems with early Zetecs?

What sort of price would be reasonable?

Any other sources of supply?

TIA

John

I got mine for a salvage yard in Gloucester, and delivered to me (which was free) only cost me £150... sold injectors and the rest of the bits I did not need off it and that then made the engine £100-115

from all that I have read the engine is meant to be a rock...

Might have tracked one down at a vehicle dismantlers...came off a N reg Mondeo but it's a 1996 not a 1995  :down: is this a big problem with emissions testing, cats etc?? or is it strictly 1995 and before?

My car is a factory built 1999 zetec and i have never had an emission test on an MOT just a visible smoke test. I swapped the original can that was fiited with a Cat 7 years ago. I would just get the newest lowest mileage engine you can find and fit it. I am assuming that your car is built and been through SVA. I Have an 04 ST170 engine waiting to be fitted.

Hi John

DOHC cam cover was used on early Zetec engines – as far as I know, everything else is identical … until you get to the more modern black top version.

If your car already has passed a SVA test, it will be tested as per the original engine at MOT time, unless it’s a Q plate which is visible smoke only … either way you have nothing to worry about. A 1996 engine will require a cat and FI to pass the sva test.

I didn’t find it too difficult to find a 2000cc engine, although not as common as an 1800cc version.

My engine was marked DOHC and was pretty good inside, although I put in new bearings and an oil pump just to be safe.  I understand that if the oil has been changed regularly their isn’t too much to worry about …

Good luck

YEY! :D

Engine seems to be fairly strong, mine had been regularly serviced, oil was nice and clean with no sludge anywhere and done 96k.  Was going to pur bearings etc but the man at Fords had not sold any and was wondering why I wanted them.  His view was they are good for at least 150k as long as the oil is changed for the correct type, 20/50 is too thick and blocks the galleries.

Look in local freeads for a MOT expired one and buy complete car, cheap as chips.

Early Zetec Engines with DOHC on cam cover had 'lifter' problems and the Ford reccomended oil was changed to 5w30 to stop the top end rattle with sticking tapets. The later engine with Zetec on had modified lifters to stop the problem.