Cosworth Westfields

njkmrs

Algie that would be great if we can arrange it .

I am sure it would cement my decision to go for one .

Thankyou

Regards.

If you want to message me your phone number I will give you a bell to arrange a day /time etc.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• njkmrs

• algie

• scruffythefirst

• bill shurvinton

At the lower end of the scale, I've got a 1.6 CVH RS Turbo with Cossie T3 in my car, and a respectable 154 bhp to build on. :D

As a nat asp YB owner I raised an eyebrow to this one.  Still it's his opinion and entitled to it no matter how wrong he is. :p

I'd be interested to hear how he draws this conclusion. ???

A natasp cossie on TBs is a thing of utter joy however there it's a damned expensive way of getting to that endpoint and there are far better engines to start out with.

Specifically the valves on the YB are way to small and the ports are tiny with the exhaust side looping round in a rather unhelpful way, neither of these things is a big problem but due to the head design enlarging the ports to the degree necessary is a massive job.  Apart from the valves and porting  (about 3 grand of work there alone) you'll need new cams, springs, tappets, pistons etc etc.  

By way of comparison a duratec or XE already has good sized ports as standard and can get similar power levels and reliability for a lot less money and for less weight.

njkmrs

We ( my son and I ) bought a Westfield Cosworth Turbo 4 years ago, its an easy drive when you want it to be and an animal at times, we are in Warrington if you want a ride

Algie

So true.

A nunney cat or a scalded cat!  Depends where you place the throttle.  I have had mine for a couple of years now and I can't bang on enough how easy it is to drive.

Owning a Cosworth Westfield does raise another servicing item... removing Evo 8's, Scooby WRC's and some 2 wheel machinery from the air filter!

How is your car going Algie?

9222.jpeg

Exactly what I am after Bob.

A car that can pootle to the track .Have a fun day ,then pootle home again.

I dont particularly want to start dragging it on a trailer etc if possible ,although that does have its advantages I suppose .

Any more pics of your car ??

Regards

If everyone's opinion of good/bad or right/wrong engines was the same I think this forum would be a very dull place indeed.

A turbocharged YB has fantastic power density and very good reliability looked after.

As for me I love my Nat Asp, and as cng1 quite rightly says there is a lot of work optimise it. I have run mine in a fairly mild state of tune with 100% reliability for 6 years, I am close to completing a rebuild / upgrade exploiting all of the items mentioned by cng1

And before someone says "its not as nature intended" my base engine is YAB001 which is the original prototype Nat Asp Sierra Cosworth engine which was tested as a possible alternative to the turbo version a couple of years into production.

11060.jpeg

But living in Northampton makes it a bit easier to find people who can do the work on the YB for you.

I hope the 'guru' someone mentioned wasn't the owner of L16 COS before cng1, cos if so, he weren't a guru...

I hope the 'guru' someone mentioned wasn't the owner of L16 COS before cng1, cos if so, he weren't a guru...

I think they meant Blatters...

;)

But living in Northampton makes it a bit easier to find people who can do the work on the YB for you.

...and having worked at Cosworth for 12 years, 9 of which were almost solely dedicated to the YB family  ;)

Bob

Its in dock at the moment having the head gasket replaced. It has been leaking slightly all the time we have had it. So this year new tyres and a new gasket.

Im hoping to collect it today or tomorrow

Algie

...and having worked at Cosworth for 12 years, 9 of which were almost solely dedicated to the YB family  <!--emo&;)

In which case would have been churlish not to :-)

I see there is a cossie narrow bodied job on piston heads (no connection)

I've run a blown YB for the last 2 yrs - never owned a westy before that, I came from TVR's.  On the whole the Cossy is a real pleasure to drive, its got a hell of a lot of grunt that I would say I'm only 75% capable of handling full on.  I had a eboost controllor fitted last year and that gives me a range of 7psi t0 22psi to play with (variable on the fly!! :cool: ).  At the top end it was dynoed at 270bhp at 16psi, so will be interesting to see what 22psi means.  On the twisty stuff 7psi is absolutely more than enough tho - you dont want all that power coming out of a reverse camber eh!!

I've driven it to Le MAns twice with the Yorks lads - a few V8's in there and they are easy to match even at the lower boost end.

Cost wise I've found the cars pretty easy and light on the wallet - I'm not the wizziest with a spanner but I've managed to stay away from a big bill with routine stuff done at home.  It needs to go in for a rolling road diagnostic shortly - I think I've fried a sensor on the way to LM, as my water pump controller decided that it would be a good laugh to shut my water pump off on the motorway!! :oops:  :oops:  at 85mph.  Temp soon rose to 120C.  Luckily I think I caught it in time and a simple bypass rewiring got me on the road agai.  All that said I have nbever had an overheating problem before.

I still misst the throb of a v8 tho.  And I've started to look at them in the classifieds - it will have to be a pukka one to get rid of my cossy tho.

Give me an email and I'll send you some pics..

Cheers Richard