Trillogy / Savage Hazard Switch Wiring Guide

Martin Keene

3 minutes ago, chriss1455 said:

I Dont suppose anyone knows how to wire the indicators up on these switches? Ive got the rest dont but no matter what i try the indicators are refusing, so id like to see what simple mistake im making in seeing what others have done

I'm currently helping another Westie owner upgrade his switches and I've left the indicators/hazards until last as it's the trickiest. Once, I've done it, I'll pass it to you too. Drop me a PM with an e-mail Chris, so I don't forget.

I imagine it's the hazard switch that's got you as it provides power to the indicators. Hazards should work with ignition off and indicators with ignition on etc.

Have you any diagrams of what you've done so far etc?

10 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I'm currently helping another Westie owner upgrade his switches and I've left the indicators/hazards until last as it's the trickiest. Once, I've done it, I'll pass it to you too. Drop me a PM with an e-mail Chris, so I don't forget.

I imagine it's the hazard switch that's got you as it provides power to the indicators. Hazards should work with ignition off and indicators with ignition on etc.

Have you any diagrams of what you've done so far etc?

Its the other way around for me, i have the hazards working but its the indicators that have me totally baffled. 

I followed what was i believe the original post and found that i had to change 2 of the wires around as the hazards were on when switched off and vice versa.

I may be able to get popped down to my unit and have a look a bit later but will more than likely be over the weekend. To see what i had to change incase its a help for either yourself or anyone else

• Like 1

Just now, chriss1455 said:

Its the other way around for me, i have the hazards working but its the indicators that have me totally baffled. 

I followed what was i believe the original post and found that i had to change 2 of the wires around as the hazards were on when switched off and vice versa.

I may be able to get popped down to my unit and have a look a bit later but will more than likely be over the weekend. To see what i had to change incase its a help for either yourself or anyone else

I'm okay as I cut all the Hazard/indicator switch wiring out and made my own dash controller using an Arduino. Hence software controls the hazards/indicators etc. I just need to to decode the loom diagram and draw out how it is schematically to aid converting to savage/other switches etc. 

I'm also going to help him have illumination on dim for night and bright to indicate switch on etc.

Don't make a special journey etc, I just need some time to do it.

18 hours ago, TableLeg said:

This was the drawing I used (albeit with a toggle switch) and it worked for me, perhaps you could try it with the switches you are using in place for the indicators. Should be simple to test.

http://www.kit-car-build.com/images/hazard.jpg

Thats the only thing i havent tried running it from the hazards, thought that it didnt seem right with there being a seperate circuit for the indicators. However i will try that and if it works i will be happy

Hi @chriss1455 Does this help:

This is specific for freewheel, however could be easily adapted to push button contacts for indicator left and right. Where the 'white' pairs are shown just wire normally open switches in place.

N.B. This is based on using Caterham / EAO contact blocks but should/could work with Savage ones too.

image.png.0c921721e49767f1bb7e6a2fede34ba7.png

image.png.16358f70a723d96be0d0c1df27a2df95.png

On 12/01/2020 at 17:21, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Hi @chriss1455 Does this help:

This is specific for freewheel, however could be easily adapted to push button contacts for indicator left and right. Where the 'white' pairs are shown just wire normally open switches in place.

N.B. This is based on using Caterham / EAO contact blocks but should/could work with Savage ones too.

I will certainly give that a go and see where it gets me. Im going down after work tomorrow so i will report back

So decided to start again with the wiring for indicators. I think ive got it sorted by using the RH and LH wires on the harzard switch. However when ive gone to find some diodes to do the final fit/test i cant remember where i put them, so new ones on order and hopefully all will be working as should be when they arrive

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Got some - somewhere..., 😁

I bought some after you helped with the other bits. But that was a while ago and i will be damned if i can remeber where i out them. Delivery is in 3-4 days so dont have to wait too long

@chriss1455 Please note I've amended my diagram above to include a 10A diode. Testing by the recipient of my work @Aeruttle discovered that the fuel pump started when the hazards were switched on without the ignition. Clearly the hazard's were back feeding all the ignition controlled circuits, hence this diode blocks this back feed. I'm surprised @Kit Car Electronics  or @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary, didn't spot my deliberate mistake 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just done a hazard switch install and got the switch to flash.

The switch also flashes when the indicators are in use as an added reminder. This is actually fairly simple to do and can be swapped to flash dim or bright depending on how you want it setup. 

34E40D29-6279-4DA3-BFF4-B81FB936B93E.thumb.jpeg.eb98ff114ce642b5de96fa91fa50e74f.jpeg

For anyone that wants to copy what I did here is my diagram.

for the ignition live I took a tap from G18.

If you want it to flash on off you can remove the ignition live feed. 

if you want it to come on dim with the lights swap the ignition live with a lighting red/orange.

For what it's worth, I'll replace the stock hazard switch image.png.755d78e677642e1e6226b34e5a564eee.png 

by a simple toggle switch, and handle the multiple connections the same way the switch does with a 11 pin 10A relay

image.png.21c86311ff09fa79bdfb1c156c1d8294.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if anyone knows a place that will check out a Westfields wiring and electrics as we’ve just bought a westy for the first time? Around worcester Birmingham area?