1st MOT due

xillent

1st MOT due. The garage are asking for the car weight. i've done a search and got some info but was wondering if one of you chaps with a Speedsport has had a had their MOT and what weight you used?

Also, it may be a daft question, i don't expect the vehicle to fail, but is it better to err on the high side wrt weight?

I have a live axled SE and they asked the weight but i didn't know exactly so they said 'OK, we'll put it down at a ton', I did protest and pointed out that my 106 Rallye comes in at 860kgs but he just said 'let's see what happens'.  Sailed through anyway but i did get it weighed shortly after down at the recycling plant and it came out at 530'ish kgs.

Although almost doubling the weight was probably a bit more than erring on the heavy side!

I'd go for around 650 kg if it's in reasonably lardy spec with spare wheel, tank of fuel, tool kit, weather gear, screen, wipers, heater, etc.

If it's had any of the above removed reduce estimate accordingly.

Why do they need to know? I've never been asked.

Kevin

The new computerised MOT needs a car weight to calculate brake efficiency. When I first got mine done like this they chose the lightest car on their chart which, iirc, was an elise at 850ish kg. not a problem even if it was 40% high.

Toby

edit: PS. I weighed my 1990 SE (xflow engined) at 580kg.

The new computerised MOT needs a car weight to calculate brake efficiency. When I first got mine done like this they chose the lightest car on their chart which, iirc, was an elise at 850ish kg. not a problem even if it was 40% high.

Toby

edit: PS. I weighed my 1990 SE (xflow engined) at 580kg.

God that's high for an Elise as well - they are 735kgs without driver.