Generally unimpressed

timc78

My two penneth when I renewed my membership this year I paid the extra for a joint membership for Lou (Even nowing there would be no more benefit) which I was more than happy to do! The paultry membership fee we pay to keep this great club running is in my opinion not enough and should be doubled when you consider the work which must go on behind the scenes especially with this great site and the magazine which is fabulous.

Ok I understand there are members who have paid and are waiting to upgrade there status but there are many many more who I see here time and time again who have never paid a bean to the running of this club and quite frankly it pisses me off so I for one would be more than happy if we went down the route of Blatchat and became members only.

Barry

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Bazzer

• Blatman

• Mrs Westy

Ok I haven't read the whole thread as its grown into lots of pages since I last looked.

I haven't paid as I haven't bought a car yet, and most of my posts have been queries about new cars, westfield vs caterham etc.  

One of the things I've liked about this forum vs blatchat, is that I don't have to pay.  As a non-owner I'd like to be able to investigate my potential purchase without shelling out for club membership (Caterham or Westfield), and haven't paid for blatchat membership.  Once i own the car I will pay for membership (as I have done on other car boards).

By restricting the use of handy sections like wanted/for sale etc., you are making membership desirable for long term owners, perhaps you could put other limitations in place to make it more desirable so people sign up once they own the car?

but there are many many more who I see here time and time again who have never paid a bean to the running of this club and quite frankly it pisses me off so I for one would be more than happy if we went down the route of Blatchat and became members only.

Barry

maybe i should have EXCLUDED MEMBERS from the group buy of cages i organised barry .

It might p*** you off but its a persons choice as to wether they pay to be a member of a club or not , because you are not a paid member it does not mean you don't give back ,and i can assure you that on many occations i have done exactly that ,and have never worried about the member status of those i was helping ................

maybe i should have EXCLUDED MEMBERS from the group buy of cages i organised barry

Surley the saving you made would have been more then the membership fee!

Perhaps you should have not been able to promote this as a non member.

If I was to organise a Bulk Buy non members would be excluded!

My comment was not directed at you harv more of a general comment but it has obviouslly struck a nerve.

Why is it you feel that the club is not worth £25 of your no doubt hard earned especially as you started THIS thread last year! even after Blatters offered to do the neccessary for you as you have an allergy to writing cheques and using the post you still don't think it worth it!!

but there are many many more who I see here time and time again who have never paid a bean to the running of this club and quite frankly it pisses me off so I for one would be more than happy if we went down the route of Blatchat and became members only.

Barry

maybe i should have EXCLUDED MEMBERS from the group buy of cages i organised barry .

It might p*** you off but its a persons choice as to wether they pay to be a member of a club or not , because you are not a paid member it does not mean you don't give back ,and i can assure you that on many occations i have done exactly that ,and have never worried about the member status of those i was helping ................

Hear hear Harv

When I PM my home telephone number to people to help them with Busa engine questions or such like. It never even crosses my mind to see if they are a member or not.

Bazzer

We all give back in whatever way we can, who wouldn't help a fellow driver/competitor, whatever car he/she drove ?  I'd like to think that I'd help anybody on here and I've certainly received a lot of help via the Boardroom.

I think the point of the £25 is that it's what the club *asks* of everybody in order to provide the various services, including the Boardroom.

It's a bit ripe to say that you want to use a service offered by the club without being willing to contribute to the costs of it.  Some people could argue that they only use the Boardroom so shouldn't pay the whole £25 . . . so I could arge that I don't have kids so shouldn't pay any NI for education or should get a reduction on my council tax because I haven't used the police force or the firebrigade for the last 10 years, just isn't valid.

Somebody looking to buy is not expected to join immediately, they may change their mind but once you've got the car and you know you want to keep it, then join up and help to pay for the services you use.

We all give back in whatever way we can, who wouldn't help a fellow driver/competitor, whatever car he/she drove ?  I'd like to think that I'd help anybody on here and I've certainly received a lot of help via the Boardroom.

I think the point of the £25 is that it's what the club *asks* of everybody in order to provide the various services, including the Boardroom.

It's a bit ripe to say that you want to use a service offered by the club without being willing to contribute to the costs of it.  Some people could argue that they only use the Boardroom so shouldn't pay the whole £25 . . . so I could arge that I don't have kids so shouldn't pay any NI for education or should get a reduction on my council tax because I haven't used the police force or the firebrigade for the last 10 years, just isn't valid.

Somebody looking to buy is not expected to join immediately, they may change their mind but once you've got the car and you know you want to keep it, then join up and help to pay for the services you use.

Hear Hear Steve  :p

When I PM my home telephone number to people to help them with V8 engine questions or such like. It never even crosses my mind to see if they are a member or not.

I would just like to see that that person values my and others help by keeping this great website and club running and they only way that is going to continue is with paying members contributing.

Hear hear Harv

When I PM my home telephone number to people to help them with Busa engine questions or such like. It never even crosses my mind to see if they are a member or not.

Bazzer

Bazzer, I don't disagree with what you've said about the BEC list but that's much cheaper to run than the Boardroom although it probably takes a lot of your time.  I'm sure if you said to the list that you needed £10 from each person to pay for server use or bandwidth each year, you'd get it from most people because it's not unreasonable, why should you have to pay for something for us to use ?

I don't think we should stop people using the Boardroom because they aren't a member, I don't agree with what Blatchat has done but I also don't think there should be an attitude of free use without paying because somebody else is having to pay for that service.

maybe i should have EXCLUDED MEMBERS from the group buy of cages i organised barry

Surley the saving you made would have been more then the membership fee!

Perhaps you should have not been able to promote this as a non member.

If I was to organise a Bulk Buy non members would be excluded!

My comment was not directed at you harv more of a general comment but it has obviouslly struck a nerve.

Why is it you feel that the club is not worth £25 of your no doubt hard earned especially as you started THIS thread last year! even after Blatters offered to do the neccessary for you as you have an allergy to writing cheques and using the post you still don't think it worth it!!

barry people have actually threatened to send a cheque in a make me a member on their behalf ........... i have still resisited , i don't want to be a member of any club .................. full stop , not the lotus/peugeot/westfield , the only club i am a member of is the one that i HAVE to belong to to race , other than this i personally don't feel the need to give anyone my cash ............. if the boadroom went like blatchat i would just not bother , i bet there are a huge number who did this on blatchat ,and its proberbly a worse place for it.

i think you will find the club does not ask £25 to use this forum , its a free forum currently and whilst it is so people should be able to use it without constantly being badgered to join ............ its their choice ,let then choose .

Seems like a lot of you don't understand why Blatchat went members only, and you also don't understand that despite it being members only, you can still view and contact members who have something to sell if you want to buy off their site. Blatchat is stil open to view *by anybody*. Only members can post, and they have had this discussion *plenty of times* about is it a good idea or not. IMHO, Blatchat hasn't changed much, if at all, since it went members only and I've been visiting it every day since 1999...

As for the rest of this discussion, it seems to have descended slightly in to claim, counter claim and recriminations. Those of us at the AGM will have heard the current state of play regarding boardroom use and whether we need to consider going members only. Those of you who weren't there need to study the clubs magazine when the minutes get published.

In the meantime saying that club A is better than club B because they have different rules is *totally* pointless. Different clubs have different rules. Get over it. If you don't like one of our rules, email a committee member with a suggestion. Judging by the AGM discussions on Saturday, I'd be *very* suprised if anyone has an original suggestion to make that hasn't already been looked at by those people tasked with running the club.

Oh, and Harv, if you only join a club so that you can race, why not this one? We are an MSA club and the WSCC does count as an MSA affiliated club for the purpose of holding a race licence and entering events. I'll bet we're cheaper to join than the club you are a member of too... :p

i think you will find the club does not ask £25 to use this forum , its a free forum currently and whilst it is so people should be able to use it without constantly being badgered to join ............ its their choice ,let then choose .

You're right, no it doesn't but I didn't say that it did.  It asks people to pay £25 to be a member of the club and the Boardroom is a service provided by the club.

I have never really understood my mate Harv's reticence about paying to be a member of the WSCC and the same applies to others who partake regularly but still fail to join the club and splash the ( small amount of ) cash required for membership. However, I don't think that the boardroom should be exclusively for paid up members as there will be lots of people just 'dipping a toe' into the realms of Westfield ownership and to exclude them from the start would seem to me to be counter-productive. I for one would not join any club without 'visiting' it first to see what it was all about and the forum is often the first point of contact so IMHO it is vital that it is 'open to all'.  Having 'visited' the club and decided to take part, I would expect to have to join up.

actually your not ...........................  :p and the one i belong to is the organising club for the championship i am doing so it has a tie in , which gives me reduced price testing at there circuit ..........................

i am not against the club or its benifits , however i think several people have said its about having a choice and it would be nice not to see such comments a cheapskte for non members ,

I have never really understood my mate Harv's reticence about paying to be a member of the WSCC and the same applies to others who partake regularly but still fail to join the club and splash the ( small amount of ) cash required for membership. However, I don't think that the boardroom should be exclusively for paid up members as there will be lots of people just 'dipping a toe' into the realms of Westfield ownership and to exclude them from the start would seem to me to be counter-productive. I for one would not join any club without 'visiting' it first to see what it was all about and the forum is often the first point of contact so IMHO it is vital that it is 'open to all'.  Having 'visited' the club and decided to take part, I would expect to have to join up.

Steve its almost a thing about staying impartial and having no firm allegance to a specific club .......... its not just WSCC its any single make club

its a personal thing with me and has always been as such ,

I just don't like being presurised into doing something for the sake of it , if there was no choice and i wanted to continue to attend and use the boardroom then i would assess the true benifit , however as it stands thats not the case .