Generally unimpressed

timc78

As a new user of this site, I'd like to comment on my first impressions, in the hope that someone somewhere is open to constructive criticism. :)

I found the site a week or so ago, as I was looking for information regarding tuning my Westie.  I posted a wanted thread for some parts I thought I may need - unaware of the no wanted threads policy.  The thread was deleted (quite justifiably) but I was not informed...  and as I was tracking the thread, I got a load of rubbishy emails about another totally unrelated thread that was created with the same ID!

Undeterred I thought Ok, lets try a different approach, and posted a second topic, as more of an information gathering exercise to help me find vendors/suppliers of parts, and to confirm the parts I wanted would fit/work...  It was deleted, and I got a very terse PM warning me about posting Wanted threads - something I'd tried to avoid.  I also received another load of tracking emails from a random new thread...

Still valiantly undeterred, I tried a third thread, asking purely for information about whether the parts I was thinking of would work... Making it clear in a lighthearted manner that it wasn't a wanted thread. It also got deleted.

At this point I lost faith in ever getting an answer to probably a very simple question here :(

The replies I saw before the threads were deleted were generally very helpful and friendly, so thank you to those who posted... although I have no idea what many of you may have said.

This whole experience has tainted my opinion of this club's moderation, and left me feeling that this forum is a somewhat elitist and newbie unfriendly place.  I certainly won't be parting with any cash to join, even if I could get some answers that way.

I have now posted my queries on, of all places, a Nissan forum! :o  Despite being toatlly unrelated to Westies, there's a good chance I'll get the information I need of another Westie owner there without the post being deleted!

Without having a go at any individual, I feel it's sad that a devoted Westie owner has to go in search of Westie information on a Nissan forum.  I've left this thread deliberately content free, so hopefully you can comment purely on my 'first impression' experience here, and not my technical query.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Bazzer

• Blatman

• Mrs Westy

unaware of the no wanted threads policy

Eh?  i take it you posted in the "parts wanted" section and not the "newbies" section.

Not being a full member, I initially posted in the general section.

My subsequent non-wanted posts were in the newbie / technical areas.

I am new at the club as well, just be a bit patient... Once you get the hang of the forum and ethos of the place you will be fine. I have to say, I always got excellent support and advice from fellow westfield owners.

I am, all things considered, one of the most patient people on this planet!  My other performance car has been at the garage since January, and I'm still not impatient to have it back...

However, I'm loath to post another thread regarding my query here, as (given my limited experience), it will be deleted - wasting both my time, and the time of the people who kindly replied to it.

That said, I'm still here moaning, so maybe if I have no luck elsewhere I should try to reword it yet again, and have another go...

you seem to have had a strange, if not unique, experience of the boardroom.

how about you send me a pm (button at bottom of this post) with your question and i'll see what i can do to answer it from my experience / info.

David

There is a bit of a ram it down the throat of the newbies that they should join the WSCC attitude here.

Good to see someone point out that in some cases it makes people do the opposite to the intended.

There is far too much of it, whenever a newbie posts a message there are usually at least 2 replies saying "why not join the club" yadda yadda. Gets a bit annoying!

I suspect it was one of the main culprits of that who also kept deleting your topics (which sounded quite reasonable other than the first one to me! ).

Stick at it and ignore the twits though as there is loads of useful stuff on here!

There are loads and loads of people on here who arent WSCC members so dont feel pressurised to join!

Thanks guys, that's more like it :)

I freely admit I made an error in my first post (down to my lack of forum knowledge here), which was legitimately deleted...  It was the subsequent ones being deleted that bugged me.

I presume I'm one of the 'main culprits' that are being alluded to here.

When I delete a post, I try to point out why it's been deleted to the person concerned. I don't think I was the one doing the deleting in this case...

However, at the end of the day the boardroom rules regarding adverts are there for all to see, and they agree to them when they sign up.

It's not often that people accuse the club or this boardroom of being an unfriendly or unwelcoming place. You appear to have (perhaps fairly) gained an unrepresentative opinion as to what this place is really about...

Please, stick around and see how things improve. I'm sure you'll find we're all Ok really :)

Andy

timc78 to be honest you should get out of this place while you can, before its too late. If you stay too long you'll soon be on a permenant upgrade path and alienated from friends and family by the amount of time you spend checking out the boardroom  :blush:

Its worth it though :D and once your car is finished we have some cracking days/blats out  :cool:

I am new at the club as well, just be a bit patient... Once you get the hang of the forum and ethos of the place you will be fine. I have to say, I always got excellent support and advice from fellow westfield owners.

I'll 2nd the above comments. I've only been a member for a month or so, and to be honest haven't asked as many questions since.

I'm surprised to hear what you're saying, but this is a very, very useful place. Most questions are answered quickly and effectively.

Have faith, your answers will come! :D

guitarist.gif

Timc78 - sorry to hear you've had an unwelcoming experience.

When I joined the club, not the forum but the club itself, I had a less than satisfactory experience, all resolved very quickly I hasten to add and now continue to enjoy the friendship within it. Being of moderately advanced years, all the web forum stuff was a bit of a mystery to me and I was guilty of the "join the club" prompt until I was mildly ticked off :blush: and do see that it can appear a bit agressive.

Kerry

However, at the end of the day the boardroom rules regarding adverts are there for all to see, and they agree to them when they sign up.

Thing is, these rules aren't enforced in a very consistent manner.

From the look of this thread, non-member newbies would appear to get very different treatment to repeated, very thinly disguised commercial adverts for used cars for sale, both westfield and non-westfield, from one member in particular...

:devil:  :bangshead:  :oops:  :suspect: