1600 Ford Crossflow

lespaul

Hi,

I've done a bit of looking around and can't find the info (maybe me) so thought I'd ask a couple of newbie questions.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a Westfield fitted with a 1600 Ford Crossflow and was wondering what the tuning potential would be once I had the finances and have had the car a while (I know it will be quicker than my tin box, but we all suffer from upgraditus don't we?) or would it be better to look at changing to a zetec if possible when the time comes?

Thanks for any info, just trying to weigh up if I should jump into Westfield ownership with a really tidy looking crossflow now or wait and save up to buy a 1.8 zetec later in the year really.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren

Nowt wrong with a xflow, alot of people cut their teeth on them before moving onto bigger motors - but you probably are limited to upgrading to approx 150bhp before it starts getting expensive.

You shouldnt be misguided into thinking that swapping the xflow for a zetec (or any other motor for that fact) is a 'simple' exercise either (specially in the older narrow cars) but you can certainly get a good jump of bhp for less than it would cost to plow into the xflow and you obviously have the opportunity to push for more horses out of the 16 valvers than the xflow could make reliably.

All comes down to the the usual budget, future aspirations & intended purpose of the car type questions really ???

Damian

I concur, but with the market as it is you will get quite a lot for what should be xflow money.

I have a crossflow and I certainly haven't been dissapointed. I have approx 130bhp and don't suffer too much on blats out.  :p

wheres that navin character? love my crossflow, it just sounds right :) have to admit if you're asking for more than 150bhp as stated above you need a deep wallet (I speak from experience) but I like the simplicity of the crossflow :) and you can still run d.i.s. ignition and throttle bodies on a crossflow. Mine running Megajolt ignition ticks over like a modern car at about 800rpm even with a 244cam, stage 3 head and Fiat pistons  :p

I would say what do want the car for ???

Bought my x-flow 3 years ago for road use, and it is more than enough. spent £££s on upgrades and the car is now virtually how I want it. Biggest thing for me who is not particuarly mechenically adept the x-flow is an easy machine to keep running

Mike

I would say what do want the car for ???

Bought my x-flow 3 years ago for road use, and it is more than enough. spent £££s on upgrades and the car is now virtually how I want it. Biggest thing for me who is not particuarly mechenically adept the x-flow is an easy machine to keep running

Mike

yea ! but the driver only weighs 3 stone  :D

Thanks for the replies, car would be for road use in the main, might do the odd track day for fun but won't have loads of money to blow on tyres and brakes etc so won't be taken to seriously.

So a 130bhp x flow should probably be ok for a first Westi then, as it'll be much more fun to drive than my 140bhp TDI Octavia  :D

Sadly it'll be replacing a 150bhp Honda Fireblade though :down:

What about unleaded, do most xflows run on unleaded?

Darren

If the xflow in question does not have hardened valve seats, then you'll need to add a lead adative into each tankfull fo unleaded - or risk damaging the exhaust valve seats.  However with 130hp, means its got a stage 2 or better head on it - so this may have already been done - worth asking the owner.

Regarding whether its worth buying an xflow westy, then i guess it depends on the money, how mechanically minded you are, etc - As i bought a xflow westy, and as much as i love it - i want to change the engine to a zetec or toyota at some point for more power - mine is 134hp, so prob similar spec to your potential purchase - and to get more than that means silly money and a very peaky engine.

But do i regret buying a xflow - No way - its a great little engine, the parts are cheap, and now its running fuel injection and 3D ignition, its as reliable as any modern engine.

A narrow bodied X-flow with proper wings, solid axle and chrome fitting is much more the correct car in keeping with Chapmans origional concept and looks kinda cute.

In fact in a fit of generousity I'm willing to swop my classic for a V8 wide bodied if anyone is feeling depressed as their car  is somehow not quite right (no need to worry about cash adjustment)

Also consider CVH powered cars......The CVH is a slightly newer engine, and I would say as good as the xflow (Although I don't want to step on the toes of the xflow owners here).

What I would say, is if you buy the car and then immediatly want to spend 1500 quid on new cams, head port, rolling road tune, new carbs etc.....Then consider just spending the money up front and getting a 16v engine (zetec or VX).

I bought a CVH powered car with the same thoughts as you (want to up grade). but after doing some track days, realised actually, money spent on handling got me around quicker. and actually, the power was not an issue....Problem is, I've now done all my handling mods and want a new engine :-) Wife does not agree :-(

I'd agree with Jenko - buy a X/flow CVH by all means -they are great cars (I got one) , but I'd sell and buy a later engined car rather than spend lots of ££ on it.  

At this level the cars don't deprecate significantly - if kept tidy (as condition counts). You could sell a Xflow next yr for what you  paid, meanwhile save your  penny's then buy a 2.0 Nutter Gti or whatever next yr if you want to upgrade.

Well thanks for the advice, I finally settled on a very nice cvh engined Westy which all being well I'll collect on Monday  :D

Can't wait I'm like a kid at Xmas  :xmas:

Darren

wheres that navin character? :p

Waves from the side lines  :t-up:  :t-up:

X-flows are nice engines in my opinion for what its worth, but as others have said it does get expensive.

That said, to me there is NOTHING like the sound of my 200bhp engine reving at 9500 rpm.  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:

But that was expensive too.

What ever you get will feel quicker than most cars out there, buy a nice one and see how you get on.  Run it a while and see what you really want out of the car ( this will change ) and then see if upgrade is work on your current car or a new on !