2.0 Pinto engine - what performance?

RobertGA

Hi - what bhp would you expect from a standard 2.0 pinto and how easy is it to modify to say 150 bhp?

What sort of 0-60 times would you expect from a standard 2.0 pinto (assuming a single donor vehicle).

thanks

Robert

Hi Robert

Have a look in the FAQ section there was a thread in there somewhere with a lot of info on engines and bhp with various states of tune..

hth..

:t-up:

here it is..

I was at Santa Pod last year and saw an SDV with a standard 100bhp pinto run the 1/4 at 15.5s.  0-60 was 6.6s.  No idea on top speed but guess it would be around 120mph subject to gearing.

I've modded my Pinto to 150bhp with the following, bearing in mind it's an injection engine and bhp was when it was in the Sierra.

Bored out to 2.1, ported and flowed head (standard valves), Piper OHC134 high torque cam, Janspeed 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, Ashley exhaust system, K+N induction kit, remappable ecu, uprated fuel pressure regulator - that's where the 150bhp comes from.

I've also gone for ARP rod bolts, flywheel bolts and head bolts, Burton lightwieght flywheel, AP racing clutch and full bottom end balance - these are mainly for reliability though and have no effect on bhp, although the lightened flywheel makes it seem more "urgent", an effect that should be more pronounced when it gets fitted to the Westfield.

A Pinto is very reponsive to the classic "tuning" upgrades - more air + fuel = more power, i.e. flowed cylinder head, uprated cam (high lift + short duration in all but racing engines is best), bigger carbs/throttle bodies and a good quality exaust system should see a decent improvement in power.

Ive just about finnished my sdv in fact i've got the sva test on thursday!  Had the engine tuned last week and it was kicking out 152bhp at the wheels which completly shocked me to be honnest! It has a stage 2 big valve head, lightened flywheel, ARP rod bolts, Twin 45 weber DCOE's, high capacity fuel pump, uprated fuel regulator, standard westfield 4 to 1 manifold and exhaust system and is running on the standard pinto electronic ignition pack.  I hope this helps i'm afraid i couldn't say on the 0-60 etc but hopefully all going well will know soon!