How do I find coolant leaks?

dern

Can't claim this for myself as I read it off the net but tried it out this week and it was so sucessful that I thought I'd share it.

The main problem with coolant leaks is that they often only manifest themselves when the engine is hot and under pressure. You can run the engine up to temp and look for leaks that way but then you're moving around a hot engine looking for leaks of water at or near boiling point. This is obviously not a great idea from a safety perspective and some small leaks just turn into steam and can be a b******* to find.

So... either get a spare pressure cap and somehow fashion a tyre valve to it or get a wine making rubber bung and wedge a tyre valve in the hole. Then put the cap on or wedge the rubber bung into the mouth of your coolant reservoir or where ever the pressure cap normally lives and pump up the system with air from a bike pump or foot pump if the hose will reach or a compressor. Gradually increase pressure but you shouldn't need more than 1 bar and your leaks will become self apparent and the engine will be cold so you won't burn yourself and the water will be cold so you won't scold yourself.

Cool eh?

Mark

PS. I jumped about a foot when the bung first fired out of the expansion tank under 1 bar of pressure.

v.useful tip and one used by many a motor mechanic...

airlines give too much pressure - so the be careful those of you who are planning this and who have a compressor at home!