smokey breather pipes

jasong

ok, so I'm not the greatest car mechanic, so please talk in nice easy words i can understand.

My (bored out too) 1700 x-flow has for aroud 6 months now, been blowing out more and more oil vappour from the two breather pipes.  To start with it was only from cold and when under heavying breaking.

It's now more constant, but a very big ammount comming out under full throttle.

My non-to-expert opinion would make me pretty worried that the engines gonna need taking to bits and pistons/rings or somthing round there replacing.

If its somthing easy then I'll have a go myself, otherwise I'll give the whole lot to the local garage to sort.

any advice on what to do very gratfully recieved.

Cheers.

Do a compression test - this will give you some idea if the pistons/rings are shafted (which seems probable)

But hey, I thought that XS smoke was part of the charm of x-flows!  ;)

There are several topics here on x-flow breathing problems.

I've read most of them and now have the block breather (This is where it's most heavy) plumbed in to the rocker cover. Then a second pipe from the rocker cover to the oil catch tank. Since I've done this there is almost no oil in the catch tank whereas before, when I had both block and rocker cover going to the catch tank, I was collecting about 1/4 litre every 100 miles.

Hope this helps

Dave :D

"They all do that sir".

But if it's doing it more than normal, do a compression check.  Broken piston rings is not uncommon with 1700 Xflows.

cheers guys,

I'm not so worried now, but i'll get a compression test all the same just to check, and start worrying then!

Seems DaveB's car was using a bit more oil mine, had thought about conecting the block to header in the past,

will now get plumbing over the weekend! :)

jasong

Build 'em loose and rev 'em hard and watch as it tries to blow oil out of every available orafice.

What type of adapter do you have on the side of the block.

I was advised to ditch the tin can thingy and replace it with an adapter from Burtons(about £8 I think). When I installed this adapter was when it started chucking loads of oil into the catch tank but as I said, since the re-plumming it's much better.

DaveB