Stuck on steering wheel

Chris.B

The title says it all ......

I feel such a wally on this one.  To keep my kids happy mid way through the build I put the steering wheel on.  Now as I've almost finished the build I came to take off the wheel in order to fit the dashboard & instruments.  But it just wouldn't budge.  It seems well and truely stuck on the splines.  I drizzled WD40 down the splines, tapped it from behind with a mallett - no matter what I tried it wouldn't move.

Has anybody else suffered with this?  Any ideas on how to get it off?

I've only got the carpets & seats to fit (as well as the dash) and then it's finished!

Cheers

Chris

Bath

Build site

you need to remove the scuttle and inner paneling as to ......just kidding give it a tap from behind witha soft mallet

Remove the 8mm bolt on the lower stering rod and put the key in and turn to release the sterring lock and pull the wheel and rod out then place oner a vice and tap the shaft through the wheel boss.

Paul.

Assuming it's not the steering lock and the splines are truly jammed then a 3 legged puller will probably work better than clobbering with a hammer.  Gentle heating with a blowtorch can also help

Refit the centre nut onto the shaft so the top sits flush with the threaded end. Have someone sit in the car and basically pull the wheel towards himself, at the same time using a suitable drift (i.e. Brass) give the centre nut/shaft a good swift hit.

If this doesn't work get a puller!!! :cool:

Update - the winning solution was to remove the 8mm bolt on the upeer steering column & pull the entire shaft out.  Then a hefty blow on a drift with a lump hammer sent the shaft flying out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now I can get on with the dash.

Cheers

Chris

Build site