CAD drawing of std. body dash

furtive

If you want to move stuff around then bear in mind you may need to modify the loom in places.

Best plan I found was to get a sheet of hardboard or thin MDF and draw on it in pencil - sounds basic but it means you can sit in the car and see what you can reach and what you cant, what's obscured by the steering wheel, etc.

CAD is fine to play around with what stuff looks like though, but in 3D, i.e. in the car, it can all be a bit different.  For instance, where the indicator switch is important if you want it just at fingers reach rather than it getting in the way every time you turn the wheel, or where your eyeline is in relation to the warning lights or speedo, that sort of thing.

I laid the old horrible ally sheet dash on a sheet of thin MDF and drew round it.  Spent 5 mins cutting it out with a jigsaw and drilling a couple of holes to bolt it to the scuttle.  With the steering wheel back on I then marked the bits of the dash that were obscured, which helps with speedo/tacho positioning.

I also went one step further and made paper templates of all the switches and gauges I was going to install, including marking on the speedo and tacho markings.  I then sat in the car and taped them all in the places I wanted and moved them around until I was happy.

Muttley.

And you forgot to specify which version of AutoCad R14, 2000 or 2002 or LT versions  ;)  :D  :)  :cool:  ;)  :D  :p

Stick with the MDF and templates - it works much better to have a physical 3D element  ;)

I've been using Pro/E 2001 at uni. It is a fantastic package. It is a 3d cad program, shapes are created as solids. you can create assemblies i.e. position guages and switches where u want, put a steering wheel in etc. lets you visualise things far more easily at every stage.

I have used autocad as well, but it is almost laughable in comparison.

spent a couple of hours the other night creating a representation of the front disc, hub etc. the uprights and calipers are due when i dont have revision to worry about.

I need to get out more!

Autocad can also do all that  ;)  :D  :)  ???  and more  ;)  :D  :)  :blush:  I'll get me coat  :devil:

what the hells this all about then :(  ???  ;)

Its got nothing to do with yellow paint  :devil:  :D  :p  ;)  :)

Autocad is a computer drawing package - supersedes drawing boards  ;)  :p  :D  :)  and provides finances to compete in the Speed Series - and don't bl**** start here on that subject Mr D.  ;)  :p  :devil:  :)  :t-up:

Hey Marky boy, are you a cadman ?  ???

I might have come across it from time to time  ;)  ;)  :)  :D

Ok so here we go with a new thread  ;)