Fitting AO32s

Stuart C

My speedsport has 195-50 15 Avon ZV1s. I am thinking of changing to Yoko AO32r's 205-50 15s to improve grip. can anybody tell me how I get my speedo recalabrated. Also will I have to change the offset for the front wheels to fit in the front Cycle wing?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkenyon

• DAVE O

• HarvSurrey

• Stuart C

Stuart,

Firstly, good idea, those Avons are far too hard for such a light car (that's why I crashed, honest  ;) ).

Secondly, I would also take the opportunity to move down to 13" wheels at the same time as changing the tyres.

Not only will this save you a lot of unsprung mass (and therefore improve handling), but also the tyres are a shed load cheaper at 13" than 15".

If you decide to keep the 15's, then I wouldn't bother re-calibrating the speedo, as there is a very small difference in circumference between 195-50 and 205-50. And the chances are that if you are using the standard VDO speedo, it doesn't read anywhere near the correct speed, anyway!  :p

Ross

Tell me about it, cant get the bl**** thing off the line. Anybody would think Ive got 400BHP going through the back wheels. Wet weather is just a joke.

Dont really want to go down to 13inch wheels. I dont have much ground clearance anyway and speed bumps R a real nightmare. To change ride hight would mean a major overhall of the shocks/ springs and ive just replaced my rear AVO's.

Any idea's on the front arch fit? I know Westfield fit 205's as standard now.

Thanks

Stuart

I think there are officially two sizes of westfield cycle wings, but I beleive the larger is specified as 185 and above, so if the current ones fit, I beleive the new ones will ok

Thanks Ross

I am going for Soft compound. Will these be the best choice for all round work. ie Fast road, Track, Dry and wet.

Stuart

Can't claim to be an expert on them, but from what I've heard from other peoples discussions, they are your best bet.

If you fit 205/60X13 Yokos the rolling circumference  will be the same ie 1810mm you will be able to get wheels and tyres for about the same price as 205/50x15 A032`s and save about4-5kg per wheel :t-up:

I am currenlty on the hunt for new tyres. to fit 13" rims in 205. the options seam pretty limited, I currently have Yok's fitted, but these where part worn when I got the car, so I'm not sure what to replace them with since as I don't know how they compare from new.

Mainly for Road, with 1 track day every 2 months or so, only in the sunshine tho :)

Going from what I've read in previous threads (I can't offer any first-hand experience as my car didn't last long enough to put new tyres on!;), the normal choices for these cars are:

Yoko A032R's - Excellent in the dry, good in all but the most lake-like condidtions.

Yoko 520's - Same compound as A032's, but with a "normal" road tread pattern on them, not quite as good ultimate grip as 32's (due to less rubber in contact with the road), but excellent in the wet.

ACB10's - The ultimate road-legal slick tyre, unlimited dry grip, very light, only problem is they are cross-ply, so tend to tram-line. Not sure about the wet (very soft, but little tread).

The only other point I would make is that you will probably find that you don't need 205's on these cars, 185's is normall plenty.

Ross

Nooooo, A520 are NOT a032r with a road tread and the latest replacement called A539 has had mixed reviews as well!

The Yoko A021r is the same as an A032r (std 'soft' compound) but has a 3mm deeper tread to start with so is better in standing water. A032r is also available in supersoft compound with understandable loss in longevity.

Try Bridgestone RE720 (the List 1A tyre for last 2 years apparently) if you want a tyre to last more than A032 but with less grip

Peter G has it spot on.

Stuart C

Why not fit the same width tyre on you Speedsport as what comes off (assuming you can get AO32's in 195-50-15......) If not, 205's will be the best bet, but if it was me, I'd stick with 185's/195's on the front.........

Blatman

Cant get 195-50-15s. So will have to go for the 205s. Put a call into George Polley. Loads cheeper than anyone else. Good call.

Thanks

Stuart

I've had the same problem with deciding which tyres to fit.

I spoke to the yoko stand at the NEC back in JAN.

I currently have 195/50/15 yoko A520 but they are too hard for trackdays.

The chap on the yoko stand said I should change to 195/55/15 AO32-R apparently this size would increase the diameter of the tyre by 8mm.

He also said I could wait until the new AO48-R came out later in the year as this might come in 195/50/15

Then there's the option of going 13"  AHHHHHH.

Meanwhile the tread on the A520's is getting low. Which is making them feel even better on the track.....

Dave O.

13 inch wheels means only one decent tyre choice:  Bridgestone RE720 which are only availbale in 185/60 for 13inch. Similar compound to Bridgestone SO2 which are un doubtely the best Westfield tyre, pity you cant get them anymore! 13 inch does offer small weight Image for example 4.5kg a corner (Cast) but to save weight and keep with good tyres, OZ do wheels of 15inch at a shade under 5Kg each!

Hold on a sec. At the beginning of this thread I was happy that I had made the right choice going for AO32rs on 205-50-15s. Now I am back to square 1. I do not want to go down to 13inch rims. Liked the idea of the wider tyre to fill the rear arches a bit more. AO32rs 205-50-15s come in at 1800 mm AO32rs 195-55-15s (only 195-15s they do) come in at 1814mm. Taller tyre, again potential probs with Cycle wings.

Now people r saying other tyre makes!!!!!

On the basis this is going to cost me £560 I want to make sure I get it right (and also get a debate about best tyres going(but thats secondry)).

Are AO32rs to muts nuts or is there better for the money????

Stuart