'98 SEiW 1.8 Zetec

gixermark

I did think that asking 8.9 k for a car that cost 13k 8 years ago was rather brave !! 500 quid a year depreciation !!

That's about going rate as far as I've seen. I bought my first Westfield for 8750, and sold it 18 months later for about 8000. That's about the same rate of depreciation.

After the initial hit, Westfields don't really depreciate all that much.

Andy

You guys make my car seem like a bargain then!

My first Westy I bought from the factory for 10k, a 1600 CVH Qplate demo which had 300 miles on the clock. 6 years later, the insurance paid out 6k on it.   Thats 750 a year.

I just bought a 4year old, 2001 1800 speedsport with 2800 on the clock, in almost new condition. Original Westfield receipt has over 18k on it, with almost every Westfield supplied box ticked on the order sheet.  

I paid 9.9k for it, just over a month ago. I didn't bother haggling as I thought at the time the guy was underselling it.

I don't think a factory built Westfield can depreciate nearly 9k in 4 years can it?

Lee

As more cars come onto the market, prices will be affected.

Great if your buying, but if your selling  :down:

But if your selling to buy another Westy, then it should all be relative price wise...

There's a £10,000 barrier with Westy's and to pay more than that it needs to be something abit special.

I've just added up what my car would be worth broken (taking account for a large lump of cash for a newly built big bang vx xe) and it's waaaay more than I'd get for it as a complete car....Surely not right...True....but not right

I would say if you buy a 2nd hand westy at the right price depreciation will be minimal , If you build and buy everything new its obvious you will have to take a couple of spoons of "father Johns" when you come to sell it.. Ive never built a car but it beats me how you can end up with £15k+ invested in a build, Ive heard other people building  equally as high spec cars for a lump less sourcing parts cheaper or second hand...

The man selling a car he has  built is always going to value it higher to try and claw back his investment.. in reality  it isnt worth anymore than a like for like 3 owner car.

and on a depreciation subject, looking at this months glass"s guide , bentley continental 6.8 t was £233k new ,,, a year later it books at £133k now thats a blow  :0  :0  :0  :0  :0  :0

went to see the car, equally as impressive as the pictures, the build quality was simply fantastic, its been stored in a garage under a cover ite entire life, and only out on dry days - and very few of them - at only 1200 miles on it since '98 !!

the fasteners, engine & bay etc. etc all look like its just been built.

went for a drive, and unfortunatly thats were my interest faded, it just didn't feel quick enough to pursuade me to purchase, the engine pulled strong and felt fine... a 1.8 std motor with 40s just doesn't do it for me.

If i do decide to continue my search for a westie it looks like i will have to target a well spec'd 2.0 or V8, or a BEC - but I would prefer a car engine..

Looks like my current budget is not quite up to these at present so may have a rethink....

Thanks for all the advise guys..

Mark.

Mark..

If i were in you  I would go for a vauxhall redtop  powered car ,they are close to 180bhp in standard form... you will buy one for what you are looking at spending, just be patient , there was a nice specced seiw recently for just over £6k , it was on throttle boddies sbd bonnet exit manifold etc.

cheapest option is to buy a nicley specced cvh and convert it yourself, my pals just done this and wasnt at all a costly exercise, he certainly couldnt buy this car fot the price it now stands him  :t-up:

yep good advice - and thats what I'm thinking - if i do decide to get one.. after being uninspired by the run in that one, and the pending bike season starting (I race on 2 wheels) I'm questioning my commitment and time available to actaully get the use... there are too many cars advertised with ridiculously low milage - and I wouldn't want mine to be one of them !

I saw that wise red top for sale... unfortunately I had't sold my old race bike at that stage - or I would have been extremely interested..

NOt to worry I imagine there will be many more popping up in the coming weeks..

Mark.

Be patient... you'll know straight away when the right one turns up for you.

After writing my previous car off, I spent nearly 3 months of searching almost daily looking for my next car one and I knew what I was looking for and what to look out for. My first time buyers who aren't going to build one, its quite a minefield.