What should I look for when buying a helmet

slippy

• 7 years later...

Hi.

Can anybody update us on the latest standards for track day helmets. I understand that several track day organisers us the "Suitable" caveat but I have been looking to replace my old helmet and thought that I should try to get one that fits the rules but I am unsure what spec it has to meet. I thought I had settled on BS6658 part A but then read that this is withdrawn in December this year and ECE 2205 which seems to be the most commonly available doesn't figure for cars.

Thanks

I always try and find one that is head shaped and fits my massive bounce.... :d

then I phone Luke at Playskool with my measurements and he posts a cracking helmet out at a very reasonable price that will be MSA compliant.

Best to call Luke and discuss your needs and he will ensure you get what you need.

I have to wear a helmet at work and would also say pay the extra to get one that is comfortable/fits rather than looking good....  

My helmets  have prevented significant head injury on 2 occasions in the past 2 years.....

There doesn't really seem to be consistent spec for trackday helmets. If you wanted to be sure then I'd just go for a "Current" car-type Motorsport approved helmet.

I'd also recommend actually going somewhere that you can try on a variety of helmets to get the right fit. There's far more to a correctly fitting lid than just your basic head size! Specially if you want something that's going to be comfortable enough to wear most of the day.

After going through three different helmets I ended up going for a motorbike helmet due to the noise reduction

Has to be said the internal drop down shafed visor and lift up front are superb

It's a schuberth c3 pro - expensive but worth it IMO

Won't be any good for sprint / race though as it does not meet the standards

I've got a V2 helmet.  I tried on their largest at the Racing Car Show not expecting it to fit (I have a large head) but it did - perfectly.  I'd echo what everyone has said about trying before buying.

Rory's Dad

Can you get them for fingers?

Any bike helmet with the ACU Gold sticker on ?

No need to spend silly money, can be done for under £100

My Shoei was however reassuringly more expensive

Pick one that fits your head, wear ear plugs

Get one with a pin lock anti mist visor, they NEVER mist up !

Bob

I've had several helmets for bikes and been through the process... Three easy steps.

1. Is it the required legal standard?
2. Does it fit well?
3. Can I afford it?

I found shoei too wide and round. Arai's fit well, but padding too firm. I found AGV's fit me the best and I never buy cheap. I had a huge off and I believe if I had a cheap helmet at the time then I would not be here to offer my opinion.

• 5 months later...

I've got a V2 helmet.  I tried on their largest at the Racing Car Show not expecting it to fit (I have a large head) but it did - perfectly.  I'd echo what everyone has said about trying before buying.

Rory's Dad

The V2 is on my short list and I have been waiting for the Autosport |International show this weekend to go and try one

You need to be aware that the standards that bike helmets pass are very different to those that car helmets pass. My personal view is I would prefer to use a Car helmet in a car.

The current MSA standards are :

(a) INTERNATIONAL EVENTS & ALL MSA EVENTS.
FIA 8860-2004.
FIA 8860-2010.
SNELL SA2010.
SNELL SA2005.
SNELL SA2000*.
SNELL SA2010.
SNELL SAH2010.
SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A.
BS 6658 Type A/FR**.
*May be withdrawn with effect from 01/01/15.
**May be withdrawn with effect from 01/01/16.

These are taken from the 2014 Yearbook.

Other key advice I would give is make sure it fit's.

If you are looking for one for trackday's it makes sense to buy one that meets current MSA standards. Then if you ever decided to do any competition use it is OK, but also it will have a fire-resistant lining.

Don't forget, if you have an aeroscreen, then most if not all of the organisers require a full face helmet as a minimum.

In my humble opinion, you might as well get an MSA budget helmet as a bike helmet. Similar price, but like Nick says, it is designed for cars, and if you decide to dip a toe in the Speed Series water, it is one less item of expenditure to worry about.

Luke at Playskool Motorsport can fit you up!!

I got mine from Playskool - highly recommended - very light and never fogs up.