VX XE engine problem

brianm

Hit a problem today in my other kitcar, and was hoping for a few pointers if I cant crack this pretty quickly tommorrow, Harrogate etc. Total no fire on no 3 cylinder. So far checked full spark and full compression so not too alarmed. Only got as far as removing injector loom, ( sorry its the standard, but chipped Astra 16v GTE injection ststem), checked resistance of all injectors, all identical, didnt have chance to check signal or passing of fuel. Suspect either dead injector or blocked fuel supply to this one, but fuel filter seems clean. Can ECU loose signal to 1 injector?, have checked wiring AFAP and can find no damage or bad contact. Any advice welcomed. Cheers, Brian.

Try swapping an injector with another cylinder. If the misfire swaps cylinders-problem found! But first, when you removed the spark plug from the offending cylinder, was it wet? If this is the case then the fault is more likely to be ignition related. Sometimes they will spark when outside of the cylinder, but when it is in the engine under compression the plug/lead can break down and throw you a red herring. Try swapping the plugs around (like the injectors) and leads to, I have had three XE powered cars now and have had to replace the leads on all of them. Also the dizzy cap can be a problem too, all worth giving a coat of looking at.

Stu.

Thanks Stu, tried alt plug and swaped adjacent leads. Problem still firmly on no3. Plug not wet or oilly?

Brian.

Oh poo. Sounds like fuel/electronics fault then. Injectors do play up-but rarely stop working. You say it is on the standard injection set-up, have you still got the diagnostic plug and engine management light wired up? if you have, a quick bypass with a split pin could tell you if you have an electronic fault. If it has, and you dont know how to do it, let us know and I will talk you through it and what any codes it recalls are.

Sorted the b******* thanks Stu  :)  :)  :D ,could'nt shift it from that one pot, eventually found blockage on inlet side of one injector, all cleaned tested and now operating OK. But there was a lot of scale and crap in there. The fuel rail pre filter looks brand new, but will replace anyway, it was probably the previous owner changing the filter that released the muck anyway, or maybe he had hit the same problem before.  Am using the original injection loom, so I assume the diagnostic plug/socket is in that?, but am planning to change to throttle bodies soon anyway, (S/H set anyone?).

As an aside if I buy new it will be one of the SBD systems but I understand that if i use thier distless igniton option then I MAY? have problems getting it to operate through the GTE digital dash tacho I'm using. Anyone any exp of this? and is the only option an additional tacho?

Brian