Weber twins

Westfields Rock On

Which should i consider of the 2?

Plus, what should look for when buying 2nd hand?

wear, broken, battered, ridden hard.

:durr:

Advice!

:)   ???

charebudd

not an easy question this one as it will depend on your engine and state of tune,i mean im running twin 40,s and there spot on but have there limitations,anything bigger than 2.0 and there too small or even smaller engines if its tuned to the hilt,as for condition its going to be hard to tell,unless you here them on an engine, as wear will be internal and so small it will be invisable ??? the only godsend is that 90% of the bits are replacable and can be set up at your local tuning specailists preferably with a rolling road,in the past ive found that most poor running problems are down to air leaks and adjustments,pay your money and takes your choice unless you can varify there past,probably not what you wanted to hear  :t-up:

45's..........

If you get 40's, you'll have much less scope for future power upgrades. 45's can be made to "mimic" 40's while you decide which way you go with tuning, whereas 40's will always be the restricting factor if you are looking at increrasing horsepower.

Given you have a Pinto, I have twin 40s on a 2.1 pinto and at a rolling road test produced 149bhp@5600rpm (flywheel) with 148lbf@4700rpm.

I would go for 45's if you get the chance.

I have a Zetec on 45's and have recently realised that the chokes may be a little on the small side. I will get a rolling road session lined up in the near future to sort this out and if the bits become surplus (ie I can't exchange them) they would probably be a reasonable starting point for a Pinto.

I'll let you know what happens.

Kevin

45's won't produce any more power than 40's bolted to the same engine, because the fuelling requirements and power output are determined by what cam/pistons/compression/capacity you have in the car already. If you fit 40's, and get it set up on the rollers so that it runs perfectly, then fit a set of 45's to the same engine, to get it to run perfectly on the 45's, you'll end up with the same jets/chokes/idles etc as what are in the 40's, 'cos the carbs are "looking" at the same engine..........the 45's will have more scope for increased power when you start to change the engine by modifying the cam/pistons/compression/capacity. The 40's won't.........

So, you fit 45's................

So that you have a comparison, my 45's on the Cosworth engine were seeing an engine produce over 200bhp at the crank. A pinto can be made to produce that sort of power, but not on your budget, so 45's will be adequate, and future upgrade compatible.

So you fit 45's.................

45's

45's

45's

45's

etc.................