Minor Scuff on glass fibre

steppenwolf

I have a tiny 'scuff' mark on my glass fibre where one cycle wing has just brushed the body on some combination of full lock and suspension travel. :blush:

I guess that it can be 'polished' out but what should I use? A very fine wet and dry perhaps? If so, what grade?

Any thoughts (well on this subject anyway!;) greatly appreciated.

Steve,

P1200 used wet to remove the scuff, then MER cutting polish to bring the shine back.

I managed to remove a huge scuff on the rear of my old one where I scraped it on the floor whilst trying to hang it from the celing!

Ross,

Excellent - thanks for that. I'll get the 2 items (I have the water and detergent already!;) and set to.

Hope the re-build is going well.

Cheers.

Steve,

That Mer is excellent stuff, you can add it to the detergent when you are cleaning the car normally to give a nice shine without having to buff it off afterwards..... Always worth going to the Autosport show just because they do good bulk deals there on the day!

Rebuild is going slowly..... managed to almost completely build the car in a month (after work and weekends), then it's the old problem of the last 10% taking 80% of the time..... getting taken away to Plays-Kool next week, so I should get the summer... unless I've missed it!

Ross

Ross,

Hope you do get the summer fun you deserve! I know what you mean by the last 10% - it is the tricky bit but it is what makes a car stand out from the crowd if done properly.

I have got the P1200 and some P1500 and P400 too from Halfords. Could not get the MER cutting paste so instead got the Halfords equivalent. I attacked the scuff with 400 grit to get rid of the ridges then moved onto the 1200 and then the 1500. This worked a treat. I then used the cutting paste followed by Brasso and finally polished it all of with Autoglym Resin Polish.

It worked so well that I got really bold and attacked a much deeper gouge on the nose cone that (to my shame!;) I got by hitting the garage door when removing the cone during the build process. This too has disappeared completely using the above treatment.

Thanks for your advice!

i have some scuff marks on my rear arch but they are showing as white marks rather than the blue of the gel coat

is this the type of thing that can be removed in the same way or do i just have to live with it?

How new is the car?

White marks could be an undercoat if the car is painted rather than gel-coated?

More likely, it's just bits of dust and polish that have collected in the scratches showing up as white, if this is the case, then yes, it can be sorted exactly the same way.

Hope it comes up nicely,

Ross

the car was built in 1988 and i'm pretty sure its gel not paint.

just reluctant to start rubbing down incase i end up with a white patch instead of white scratches

on a similar vein my new car seems to have lost its shine through too many journeys under a tarpaulin. whats the method round this to return the shine?? mer/autoglym/ cutting?

Jon, if they're deep scratches or scuff marks then you could be seeing the fibre glass mat underneath.  You won't polish those out but if you will them with gel-coat and then wet'n'dry / polish them they should disappear.

There are one or two threads about gelcoating in the archives.