brake pads/discs

jon fry

my wife has just rang to say that her fiat punto needs new discs and pads again

this is only 7000 since they were last replaced

she has not had a problem on any other cars and i wouldnt say that her driving style is heavy on the brakes.

the pads were guaranteed for 12000 miles so we are looking for replacement under waranty

anyone got any ideas as to why she gets through them so quickly.

Maybe she doesn't.

Maybe the garage is trying to pull a fast one and get her to shell out for new parts she doesn't need.

Or am I being too cynical ??

Nick

Or am I being too cynical ??

My girlfriend was tricked by that ploy. Also, a friend took his Renault Espace for a service and on the bill it was marked "Front brake pads 75% worn". When he took it back to the service manager the guy looked a bit embarassed when my friend told him the total mileage on the pads - about 4 miles!!!

aren't we all a bunch of cynics.

one set of pads and discs fitted free under waranty

still going to have the wheels of at the weekend to check that they have really been fitted

Get them to give you the old ones - always worked with me when I gave them a set of Mintex pads to fit to my Rover once.  Made sure they gave me the old one back in the box to prove they'd done it.

That said, I only adopted this course of action after they didn't do one or two jobs they were supposed to before.

had same recently with peugeot garage - After service girlfriend was told her brake pads were 90% worn and needed changing - i said id do it - when i took the wheels off - there was easy half the pad left - good for another 6K miles at least.

bl**** garages - i hate them - and a stamped service book is supposed to Add value to your car!!!!! - what a joke.

cheers

Chris